Smooth and supple, the voice of the late Marvin Gaye remains one of pop’s great aphrodisiacs. Released in the week of Gaye’s birthday (he would have been 52), Marvin Gaye: Greatest Hits Live captures 55 minutes from a 1978 performance in Holland. Gaye soars, but his huge backup band too often drags him back down. Their playing is, by turns, tepid and leaden, lessening the impact of such swirling soul songs as ”What’s Going On.” Even material as naturally punchy as Gaye’s early Motown hits, including ”Ain’t That Peculiar” and ”I Heard It Through the Grapevine” (corralled here into a medley), are rendered paunchy by the band. Likewise, Florence Lyles, the female singer who helps Gaye re-create his famed duets with Tammi Terrell and Mary Wells, falls short of the originals. It doesn’t help that the tape’s sound is borderline cheesy, or that the camera work is lackadaisical. Still, any program that features a voice like Gaye’s can’t be a complete waste. His hypnotic croon alone makes the tape worth renting for one night — and for night only, of course.
Marvin Gaye: Greatest Hits LiveSmooth and supple, the voice of the late Marvin Gaye remains one of pop's great aphrodisiacs. Released in the week of Gaye's birthday (he would have ...Marvin Gaye: Greatest Hits LiveUnratedSmooth and supple, the voice of the late Marvin Gaye remains one of pop's great aphrodisiacs. Released in the week of Gaye's birthday (he would have ...1991-04-12
Starring: Marvin Gaye; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted January 17 2015 — 11:46 AM EST
- Pixar's 'Inside Out' peek: Joy has a special job for Sadness on first day at a new school
- Host Luke Bryan on the ACM Awards' big stage: 'Certain people just really perform when the moment comes'
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany says fan love is 'like fuel for us'
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Olivia Wilde, Brad Paisley, Brandy Norwood & More!