The title character in Mister Johnson, Bruce Beresford’s colonial drama, is a smilingly cheery Nigerian clerk (Maynard Eziashi) who sports a pith helmet and a cream-colored three-piece suit and considers himself, in spirit, a true Englishman. Mister Johnson is precocious and eager, and he’s an expert at charming the British officials who have come to West Africa to expand their empire. Yet he doesn’t make enough money to support his relatively cushy life-style (which includes a beautiful African wife whom he has purchased, on a kind of monthly lease basis, from the neighboring tribe). And so he steals from the coffers of his white employer, the decent, stolid district officer Harry Rudbeck (Pierce Brosnan). The movie is about how Johnson dooms himself by attempting to straddle two worlds. Beresford, adapting Joyce Cary’s 1939 novel, looks at the psychological relationships inherent in colonialism with some subtlety. The British are racist but human; only one of them, played by a bellicose Edward Woodward, takes any sort of mean-spirited pleasure in his power. Johnson, the invisible scoundrel, is never quite as innocent as he seems. Yet when you come right down to it, he’s still pretty innocent. Eziashi plays him with such a relentless, singsong inscrutability that by the end of the movie, he veers uncomfortably close to becoming a liberal-humanist Stepin Fetchit.
Mister Johnson The title character in Mister Johnson, Bruce Beresford's colonial drama, is a smilingly cheery Nigerian clerk (Maynard Eziashi) who...Mister JohnsonDrama The title character in Mister Johnson, Bruce Beresford's colonial drama, is a smilingly cheery Nigerian clerk (Maynard Eziashi) who...1991-04-12
Genre: Drama; Starring: Pierce Brosnan, Maynard Eziashi; Director: Bruce Beresford
Posted April 12 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Faith-based drama in tight race with 'Straight Outta Compton' at box office
- Liam Payne turns 22! See his most GIF-able moments
- Venice Film Festival premiere of star-studded Martin Scorsese short canceled
- Taylor Swift teases 'Wildest Dreams' video with pic of Scott Eastwood
- Andy Samberg provides Emmys hashtags #freepizza(no)
- Watch the MTV VMAs with EW's drinking game
- Fan theory suggests the Joker was hero of 'The Dark Knight'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Darius Rucker, Paris Hilton, Nick & Pharrell and More!