The title character in Mister Johnson, Bruce Beresford’s colonial drama, is a smilingly cheery Nigerian clerk (Maynard Eziashi) who sports a pith helmet and a cream-colored three-piece suit and considers himself, in spirit, a true Englishman. Mister Johnson is precocious and eager, and he’s an expert at charming the British officials who have come to West Africa to expand their empire. Yet he doesn’t make enough money to support his relatively cushy life-style (which includes a beautiful African wife whom he has purchased, on a kind of monthly lease basis, from the neighboring tribe). And so he steals from the coffers of his white employer, the decent, stolid district officer Harry Rudbeck (Pierce Brosnan). The movie is about how Johnson dooms himself by attempting to straddle two worlds. Beresford, adapting Joyce Cary’s 1939 novel, looks at the psychological relationships inherent in colonialism with some subtlety. The British are racist but human; only one of them, played by a bellicose Edward Woodward, takes any sort of mean-spirited pleasure in his power. Johnson, the invisible scoundrel, is never quite as innocent as he seems. Yet when you come right down to it, he’s still pretty innocent. Eziashi plays him with such a relentless, singsong inscrutability that by the end of the movie, he veers uncomfortably close to becoming a liberal-humanist Stepin Fetchit.
Mister Johnson The title character in Mister Johnson, Bruce Beresford's colonial drama, is a smilingly cheery Nigerian clerk (Maynard Eziashi) who...Mister JohnsonDrama The title character in Mister Johnson, Bruce Beresford's colonial drama, is a smilingly cheery Nigerian clerk (Maynard Eziashi) who...1991-04-12
Genre: Drama; Starring: Pierce Brosnan, Maynard Eziashi; Director: Bruce Beresford
Posted April 12 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Five Questions From Transparent's Season 2 Premiere
- Gotham Awards 2015: 'Spotlight,' 'Tangerine' top the winners list
- Reese Witherspoon developing movie about Barbie creator, with an eye to star
- Casting Net: Alicia Vikander joins James McAvoy in romantic thriller
- The Avengers get rom-com treatment in remix video
- Superman unmasks Batman in new sneak peek from 'Dawn of Justice'
- J.J. Abrams says screening 'Force Awakens' for Disney bosses was 'horrifying'