Throwing Muses is a two-woman, two-man Boston band whose out-there arrangements and, um, enigmatic lyrics have, over their three-album career, endeared them to critics and a small number of big fans. There’s good news and bad news about their latest, The Real Ramona. The good news is that producer Dennis Herring, who has done yeoman’s work cleaning up the sound of the quirky San Francisco band Camper Van Beethoven, performs similar magic with the Muses. He gives songs like the ghostly, moving ”Graffiti” its plangent guitar and spacious quality. The bad news is that the group doesn’t live up to its production. While they’re clearly trying to progress — no more self-indulgent epics like their earlier nine-minute ”Soul Soldier” — a lot of the time they sound like late-’70s New Wave acts that time has left behind. The second half of the album is almost a complete waste, and the lyrical pretentiousness of ”Counting backwards/I count you in” or the, um, enigmatic air of ”I throw an egg at this wall/I watch it break and slide” make it difficult to care whether the group has anything to say. C+
The Real RamonaThrowing Muses is a two-woman, two-man Boston band whose out-there arrangements and, um, enigmatic lyrics have, over their three-album career,...The Real RamonaRockThrowing Muses is a two-woman, two-man Boston band whose out-there arrangements and, um, enigmatic lyrics have, over their three-album career,...1991-04-12
Genre: Rock; Producer (group): Sire, Warner Bros.
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Olivia Wilde, Brad Paisley, Brandy Norwood & More!