Great R&B vocal quintets used to be discovered on street corners and, after a hit or two, returned there. Today, you halfway suspect Riff was signed because their record label calculated that the group’s five fine singers could eventually roll out as many stellar solo careers as the guys in New Edition. Though Riff lacks a great bass or baritone to give them adult weight, there’s some wonderful, intricate harmony here, particularly on gospel-derived songs like ”I Can’t Believe We Just Met” and so-sappy-they’re-great pop ballads like ”Little Girls.” But hacklike songs and frequently derivative arrangements dominate Riff, and if this is the best their record company can do, Riff may never realize their potential. The whole project is too corporate, right down to the dizzying fine print of the liner notes that credit everyone and everything, except who sings lead on each song. That renders anonymous even the magnificently ethereal Stylistics-like lead on ”Baby It’s Wonderful.” Here’s hoping Riff stays together long enough to call their own shots and make more personal records. B
RiffGreat R&B vocal quintets used to be discovered on street corners and, after a hit or two, returned there. Today, you halfway suspect Riff was signed...RiffR&BGreat R&B vocal quintets used to be discovered on street corners and, after a hit or two, returned there. Today, you halfway suspect Riff was signed...1991-04-12
Genre: R&B; Producer (group): SBK
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- Zayn Malik thanks One Direction at event
- Pixar's 'Inside Out' peek: Joy has a special job for Sadness on first day at a new school
- ACM Awards' host Luke Bryan on big stage spotlight: 'It's fun to have a touch of anxiety'
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!