A Hollywood Cinderella story: Once upon a time (last year) former stand-up comic Steve Hytner, 31, toiled tirelessly in small parts (like in Ski Patrol, a movie dubbed ”Police Academy on skis”). Then he took an unassuming job as a ”reader,” feeding lines to actors auditioning for a new Hollywood Pictures’ movie. Hytner caught the attention of the film’s director, Jerry Rees, who was so impressed that he arranged an audition for Hytner with screenwriter Neil Simon. Poof! Hytner snagged the plum role of George, one of Alec Baldwin’s four good pals in The Marrying Man. ”It was the most exciting point of my career,” says Hytner. ”I called my mom and all she could say was, ‘Oh! Oh! Oh!”’ Despite rumors of feuding on the set, Hytner says he and his male costars ”became a really tight-knit group.” The five actors (Hytner, Baldwin, Paul Reiser, Fisher Stevens, and Peter Dobson) even took a four-day weekend together in Las Vegas where, Hytner says, he ”beat Alec pretty good on the tennis court.” Baldwin didn’t take it too hard: He later sent Hytner a $300 racket as a gift. Now, Hytner is busy starring in the new NBC television series The 100 Lives of Black Jack Savage and frequently auditions for movie roles. It seems like he’ll have to wait to break in that racket.
Posted April 12 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Listen to Jesse Eisenberg read about Carmelo Anthony in 'Bream Gives Me Hiccups' -- exclusive
- Shadowman returns to the Valiant Universe in 'Operation: Deadside'
- Nina Dobrev, Matt McGorry, and more advocate for sexual consent in 'It's On Us' campaign
- 'Survivor' players reveal whom they want out of the game first
- Demi Lovato pays tribute to late father on anticipated fall album—exclusive details
- See the 'Halo 5' opening cinematic (with Nathan Fillion and Mike Colter)
- Eddie Redmayne becomes 'The Danish Girl' in film's first trailer
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Kendall Jenner, Jamie Dornan, Katie Holmes & More!