A Hollywood Cinderella story: Once upon a time (last year) former stand-up comic Steve Hytner, 31, toiled tirelessly in small parts (like in Ski Patrol, a movie dubbed ”Police Academy on skis”). Then he took an unassuming job as a ”reader,” feeding lines to actors auditioning for a new Hollywood Pictures’ movie. Hytner caught the attention of the film’s director, Jerry Rees, who was so impressed that he arranged an audition for Hytner with screenwriter Neil Simon. Poof! Hytner snagged the plum role of George, one of Alec Baldwin’s four good pals in The Marrying Man. ”It was the most exciting point of my career,” says Hytner. ”I called my mom and all she could say was, ‘Oh! Oh! Oh!”’ Despite rumors of feuding on the set, Hytner says he and his male costars ”became a really tight-knit group.” The five actors (Hytner, Baldwin, Paul Reiser, Fisher Stevens, and Peter Dobson) even took a four-day weekend together in Las Vegas where, Hytner says, he ”beat Alec pretty good on the tennis court.” Baldwin didn’t take it too hard: He later sent Hytner a $300 racket as a gift. Now, Hytner is busy starring in the new NBC television series The 100 Lives of Black Jack Savage and frequently auditions for movie roles. It seems like he’ll have to wait to break in that racket.
Posted April 12 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Michael B. Jordan: Why I’m Torching the Color Line
- Jon Bon Jovi wrote a new song for the Rutgers' class of 2015
- Nicki Minaj drops 'The Night Is Still Young' video on Tidal
- TLC yanks '19 Kids and Counting' reruns
- Kanye West's 'All Day' gets misheard lyrics video from Joe Mande
- Robert De Niro to grads: 'You're f---ed'
- Kurt Sutter's new series a go at FX
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- George Clooney, Meghan Trainor, Pharrell & Zoë and More!