Txai is the latest album from Brazilian superstar Milton Nascimento. Actually, it’s the latest half album, since he gives the other half over to voices that normally don’t find their way onto pop records. As both a cofounder of the Alliance of the Peoples of the Rainforest and a representative to the Brazilian congress on environmental issues, Nascimento was politically active back when Sting was singing ”Roxanne.” Here he opens the album to the rainforest peoples themselves, alternating his usual luxurious pop productions with stirring field recordings of chants and songs by the Waipai, Kaxinawa, and Surui tribes. Musically and conceptually, Txai wanders more than it should: While Nascimento’s ethereal falsetto is as lovely as ever on songs like ”Coisas da Vida,” ”Curi Curi” pulls actor River Phoenix out of nowhere to read dire ecological prophecies over an Indian flute solo. The music’s heart is strong, though, and the record ends exactly as it should — with the spine-tingling, untamable sounds of the Kayapo people trying to shout modernity away. B
Txai Txai is the latest album from Brazilian superstar Milton Nascimento. Actually, it's the latest half album, since he gives...TxaiWorld Txai is the latest album from Brazilian superstar Milton Nascimento. Actually, it's the latest half album, since he gives...1991-04-12
Genre: World; Lead Performer: Milton Nascimento
Posted April 12 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- What's expiring on Netflix in September
- Neve Campbell 'devastated' by Wes Craven's death
- 'Faking It' boss previews season 2B: New faces, dynamics, and that upcoming Karmy kiss
- Andy Grammer joins 'Dancing With the Stars'
- Liam Hemsworth to guest star on ABC's 'The Muppets'
- The Pretenders' Chrissie Hynde criticized for victim-blaming comments
- Wes Craven's in-development TV projects will continue 'in his honor and spirit'
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!