It took genuine nerve for Sheena Easton to call her album What Comes Naturally. To her, nothing does. Easton has always been a musical mannequin, a featureless vessel given identity by the accoutrements hung upon her. In her past hits, she’s been musically outfitted as a perky lounge singer (in 1981’s ”Morning Train”), a New Wave toughie (in 1984’s ”Strut”), a Prince sex-bomb (in 1985’s ”Sugar Walls”), and, most convincingly, as a shill for an exercise club (in her moist Jack LaLanne ads). Her latest ensemble (like her last few) finds the singer in the duds of a dance queen, imitating the Minneapolis sound created by Janet Jackson’s producers, Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, and by Easton’s old flame, Prince. But at the center there’s a cipher. Easton’s voice sounds processed enough to be the result of some terrifying science project. She can hit lots of notes, but emotionally she never connects the dots. None of her huffing and puffing can hide the secret truth. As a performer, she’s nothing more than Julie Andrews wearing a G-string.
What Comes Naturally It took genuine nerve for Sheena Easton to call her album What Comes Naturally. To her, nothing does. Easton has always been a musical...What Comes NaturallyPop It took genuine nerve for Sheena Easton to call her album What Comes Naturally. To her, nothing does. Easton has always been a musical...1991-04-12
Genre: Pop; Lead Performer: Sheena Easton
Posted April 12 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- New 'TMNT: Out of the Shadows' trailer offers turtle refresher course
- Game of Thrones: Kit Harington convinced castmates he left too
- Molly Ringwald, Meredith Vieira, and more join 'Odd Mom Out' season 2
- Kanye West says he'll tour in September
- Lin-Manuel Miranda, 'Hamilton' cast react to Tony nominations
- 'Person of Interest': EPs say final season will 'blow things up'
- Michael Fassbender in talks to play serial killer in 'Entering Hades'
- Flashback to the 1996 Premiere of 'The Craft'
- 14 TV Cliffhangers and How They Were Resolved
- Met Gala 2016: See All the Arrivals From Manus x Machina
- 'Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt': Before They Were Stars
- 'Wayward Pines' Season 2: Exclusive Photos of the New Main Cast
- See President Obama's Very First White House Correspondents Dinner