It took genuine nerve for Sheena Easton to call her album What Comes Naturally. To her, nothing does. Easton has always been a musical mannequin, a featureless vessel given identity by the accoutrements hung upon her. In her past hits, she’s been musically outfitted as a perky lounge singer (in 1981’s ”Morning Train”), a New Wave toughie (in 1984’s ”Strut”), a Prince sex-bomb (in 1985’s ”Sugar Walls”), and, most convincingly, as a shill for an exercise club (in her moist Jack LaLanne ads). Her latest ensemble (like her last few) finds the singer in the duds of a dance queen, imitating the Minneapolis sound created by Janet Jackson’s producers, Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, and by Easton’s old flame, Prince. But at the center there’s a cipher. Easton’s voice sounds processed enough to be the result of some terrifying science project. She can hit lots of notes, but emotionally she never connects the dots. None of her huffing and puffing can hide the secret truth. As a performer, she’s nothing more than Julie Andrews wearing a G-string.
What Comes Naturally It took genuine nerve for Sheena Easton to call her album What Comes Naturally. To her, nothing does. Easton has always been a musical...What Comes NaturallyPop It took genuine nerve for Sheena Easton to call her album What Comes Naturally. To her, nothing does. Easton has always been a musical...1991-04-12
Genre: Pop; Lead Performer: Sheena Easton
Posted April 12 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Iron Man' honest trailer proves Marvel can build a franchise out of anybody
- 'Heroes: Reborn': 5 ways the revival avoids past mistakes
- 'Graceland' sneak peek: The truth about Sid comes out!
- Whoopi Goldberg won't make 'snap judgments' on Bill Cosby
- The 'Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip' trailer is about what you'd expect
- Kathie Lee Gifford's daughter is a scream in her horror debut
- YouTube star Michelle Phan to release a digital comic
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- Khloé Kardashian, Paul Rudd, Taylor Swift & More!