It took genuine nerve for Sheena Easton to call her album What Comes Naturally. To her, nothing does. Easton has always been a musical mannequin, a featureless vessel given identity by the accoutrements hung upon her. In her past hits, she’s been musically outfitted as a perky lounge singer (in 1981’s ”Morning Train”), a New Wave toughie (in 1984’s ”Strut”), a Prince sex-bomb (in 1985’s ”Sugar Walls”), and, most convincingly, as a shill for an exercise club (in her moist Jack LaLanne ads). Her latest ensemble (like her last few) finds the singer in the duds of a dance queen, imitating the Minneapolis sound created by Janet Jackson’s producers, Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, and by Easton’s old flame, Prince. But at the center there’s a cipher. Easton’s voice sounds processed enough to be the result of some terrifying science project. She can hit lots of notes, but emotionally she never connects the dots. None of her huffing and puffing can hide the secret truth. As a performer, she’s nothing more than Julie Andrews wearing a G-string.
What Comes Naturally It took genuine nerve for Sheena Easton to call her album What Comes Naturally. To her, nothing does. Easton has always been a musical...What Comes NaturallyPop It took genuine nerve for Sheena Easton to call her album What Comes Naturally. To her, nothing does. Easton has always been a musical...1991-04-12
Genre: Pop; Lead Performer: Sheena Easton; Status: In Season
Posted April 12 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Gary Glitter gets 16 years of jail time
- Carly Rae Jepsen debuts 'I Really Like You'--with Tom Hanks?!
- 'How to Get Away With Murder' finale strong -- even without 'Scandal'
- Neill Blomkamp has 'Elysium' regrets
- 'Justified': Erica Tazel talks Rachel's past
- Lee Daniels on Mo'Nique's 'blackballed' essay
- PopWatch Confessional: What do you watch when you're homesick?
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Oscars 2015: EW exclusive rehearsal photos
- Oscars 2015 backstage: EW all-access photo pass
- Taylor, Rita & Orlando, Amanda and More!