It took genuine nerve for Sheena Easton to call her album What Comes Naturally. To her, nothing does. Easton has always been a musical mannequin, a featureless vessel given identity by the accoutrements hung upon her. In her past hits, she’s been musically outfitted as a perky lounge singer (in 1981’s ”Morning Train”), a New Wave toughie (in 1984’s ”Strut”), a Prince sex-bomb (in 1985’s ”Sugar Walls”), and, most convincingly, as a shill for an exercise club (in her moist Jack LaLanne ads). Her latest ensemble (like her last few) finds the singer in the duds of a dance queen, imitating the Minneapolis sound created by Janet Jackson’s producers, Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, and by Easton’s old flame, Prince. But at the center there’s a cipher. Easton’s voice sounds processed enough to be the result of some terrifying science project. She can hit lots of notes, but emotionally she never connects the dots. None of her huffing and puffing can hide the secret truth. As a performer, she’s nothing more than Julie Andrews wearing a G-string.
What Comes Naturally It took genuine nerve for Sheena Easton to call her album What Comes Naturally. To her, nothing does. Easton has always been a musical...What Comes NaturallyPop It took genuine nerve for Sheena Easton to call her album What Comes Naturally. To her, nothing does. Easton has always been a musical...1991-04-12
Genre: Pop; Lead Performer: Sheena Easton
Posted April 12 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- First Listen: Ellen Pompeo on Meredith's shocking 'Grey's Anatomy' attack
- Al Pacino and Melanie Griffith join Where the White Man Runs Away
- Lamar Odom makes first public appearance since hospitalization
- Luke's daughter, April, and Mrs. Kim are back for 'Gilmore Girls'
- Kevin Bacon has a creepy kid in the trailer for horror movie 'The Darkness'
- Russell Simmons, Tony Rock to present All Def Movie Awards
- Everything you missed from Kanye West's 'TLOP' premiere
- Check out the new Maz Kanata 'Star Wars' action figure
- Burt Reynolds Through the Years
- 'The Walking Dead’: Exclusive EW Portraits
- Exclusive Look at 'The Walking Dead' Midseason Return
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996