Be prepared to read the same kind of reviews for super-guitarist Danny Gatton as those that haunted a similar figure — the late, great Roy Buchanan, a legend of the guitar whose blues-rock career never got off the ground despite critical praise. Such flip dismissals as ”plays great, less filling” missed the point with Buchanan, and these days — with flashy technobores like Joe Satriani and Steve Vai charting regularly — they’re especially off the mark when applied to Gatton. Dubbed ”the world’s greatest unknown guitarist” by those who care about such things, the 45-year-old D.C. legend can play just about anything he wants, be it rockabilly, jazz, R&B, or straight rock & roll — and does so regularly. 88 Elmira St., a major-label debut, features a scorching batch of instrumental originals and a few distinctive covers — including the Beach Boys’ ”In My Room” and the theme music from The Simpsons — all the while displaying the charm and sense of humor other frantic fret-boarders typically leave at home. You couldn’t ask for a better party record: It’s got fun, flash, and, best of all, feel. B+
88 Elmira St. Be prepared to read the same kind of reviews for super-guitarist Danny Gatton as those that haunted a similar figure — the late, great Roy...88 Elmira St.Rock, Instrumental Be prepared to read the same kind of reviews for super-guitarist Danny Gatton as those that haunted a similar figure — the late, great Roy...1991-04-19
Genre: Rock, Instrumental; Lead Performer: Danny Gatton; Producer (group): Elektra
Posted April 19 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- That time Jon Stewart saved Bill Clinton from an awkward encounter
- Eddie Redmayne stuns in new posters for 'The Danish Girl'
- Walt Disney experts dismiss allegations he was anti-Semitic
- See the latest trailer for 'The Intern'
- John Oliver uses song to explain why Washington, D.C., should become a state
- David Byrne calls for streaming service transparency in op-ed
- Stars We Lost in 2015
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Sam Smith, Channing Tatum, Gwyneth Paltrow and More!