Roxette’s Joyride sounds like it was made by elves. Their style is so adorably dinky, with rinky-tink rhythms, toy power chords, and teensy vocals, that you practically want to pet it. And the affection, apparently, is mutual. The Swedish pop duo generously fills its music with countless cotton-candy hooks, eagerly inviting listeners to gorge themselves on fluff. By doing this, Roxette has racked up an impressive string of hits and become worthy successors to the tradition of air-headed catchiness set down by their fellow Swedish pop tarts, Abba, although this duo isn’t intimidated by electric guitars and its female singer, Marie Fredriksson, goes for a bit more grit. Still, Roxette is in no danger of being mistaken for speed-metal Huns like Slayer. They just want to use everything at their disposal to hook you. They blithely toss a bit of whistling into ”Joyride,” next to some psychedelic Beatles-like flourishes, shove an unexpected mandolin into ”Small Talk,” and even plop a Dylanesque harmonica into ”Church of the Heart.” But the context for the hooks is irrelevant. The point is simply to keep the fluff coming, and here they’ve created enough to float us away.
JoyrideRoxette's Joyride sounds like it was made by elves. Their style is so adorably dinky, with rinky-tink rhythms, toy power chords, and...JoyridePopRoxette's Joyride sounds like it was made by elves. Their style is so adorably dinky, with rinky-tink rhythms, toy power chords, and...1991-04-19
Posted April 19 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- First Look: Bill Hader, Andy Samberg match wits in 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine' season premiere
- Paul McCartney debuts new version of 'Tug of War' from forthcoming reissue -- exclusive
- Austin Mahone shares details of 'more mature' debut record
- Sofia Vergara channels Peg Bundy in Instagram post
- Jimmy Kimmel asks L.A. pedestrians if Barack Obama is a muslim
- Hear the melancholic title track off Patty Griffin's new album 'Servant of Love'
- 'RuPaul's Drag Race' queens step into 'Golden Girls' shoes in honor of 30th anniversary
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- Alessandra Ambrósio, The Kardashians, Malin Akerman & More!