Steve Martin’s jab at fussy coffee ordering in L.A. Story has given birth to a new java-speak. You hear it in upscale L.A. restaurants: customers trying to mimic Martin — and failing. ”I’ll have a half caf doublé de cap. No, make that a single caf cap reg cap.” Those who contend with such orders are a bit muddled too: ”A half double decaf, with a something back,” says West Beach Cafe bartender Richard Buscher. ”A half caf decaf caf?” guesses Christine Skaglund of 72 Market Street. The dialogue on-screen runs: ”I’ll have a decaf coffee.” ”I’ll have a decaf espresso.” ”I’ll have a double decaf cappuccino.” ”Do you have any decaffeinated coffee ice cream?” Finally, Martin delivers the nut: ”I’ll have a double decaf, half caf, with a twist of lemon.”
Posted April 19 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- The Weeknd brings Kanye West to his feet with 'Can't Feel My Face' at VMAs
- Macklemore and Ryan Lewis take the VMAs 'Downtown'
- Miley Cyrus opens the 2015 VMAs with Instagram lessons
- Amber Rose and Blac Chyna challenged all the haters with their VMAs outfits
- Nicki Minaj brings out Taylor Swift to open the 2015 MTV VMAs
- Taylor Swift debuts 'Wildest Dreams' music video before the VMAs
- Nick Jonas crushes the VMA red carpet with 'Levels' performance
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!