Steve Martin’s jab at fussy coffee ordering in L.A. Story has given birth to a new java-speak. You hear it in upscale L.A. restaurants: customers trying to mimic Martin — and failing. ”I’ll have a half caf doublé de cap. No, make that a single caf cap reg cap.” Those who contend with such orders are a bit muddled too: ”A half double decaf, with a something back,” says West Beach Cafe bartender Richard Buscher. ”A half caf decaf caf?” guesses Christine Skaglund of 72 Market Street. The dialogue on-screen runs: ”I’ll have a decaf coffee.” ”I’ll have a decaf espresso.” ”I’ll have a double decaf cappuccino.” ”Do you have any decaffeinated coffee ice cream?” Finally, Martin delivers the nut: ”I’ll have a double decaf, half caf, with a twist of lemon.”
Posted January 17 2015 — 11:46 AM EST
- Bruce Jenner confesses Kim Kardashian was the first to know
- Kanye West helped Kim Kardashian accept Bruce Jenner
- Bruce Jenner to Diane Sawyer: 'The female part of me is who I am'
- Casting Net: Nikolaj Coster-Waldau to star in thriller 'Shot Caller'
- Christian Bale knee injury delays production on Fox's 'The Deep Blue Good-by'
- Jared Leto as the Joker: 'Suicide Squad' director tweets a photo