Yo-Yo does not mince words. While most women rappers avoid directly criticizing their male counterparts’ liberal use of the ”B word,” Yo-Yo proves that it’s most effective to confront them head-on — and her own solo debut is full of such fire. She first sprung onto the scene last year in a duet with gangsta rapper Ice Cube, ”It’s a Man’s World.” She hilariously rendered her articulate but foul-mouthed partner speechless by postulating that ”women are superior over men” and questioning the size of his, uh, private parts. Yo-Yo raps quickly — at times fighting to catch her breath — but she never tires when taking on sell-out rap rivals, men who ”dog” women, or careless, unsafe sex. Make Way for the Motherlode is propelled by thick servings of bass and percussion, most notably on its first single, ”Stompin’ to tha ’90s.” This song thunders enthusiastically as Yo-Yo brags that she ”was born/To wear a mike until it’s worn” and plugs the I.B.W.C. (Intelligent Black Women’s Coalition), a group she founded to fight sexism and register voters. Strong and angry, Yo-Yo refuses to be taken lightly. If this album is any indication, she won’t be.
Make Way for the MotherlodeYo-Yo does not mince words. While most women rappers avoid directly criticizing their male counterparts' liberal use of the ''B word,'' Yo-Yo proves...Make Way for the MotherlodeHip-Hop/RapYo-Yo does not mince words. While most women rappers avoid directly criticizing their male counterparts' liberal use of the ''B word,'' Yo-Yo proves...1991-04-19
Genre: Hip-Hop/Rap; Lead Performer: Yo Yo; Producer (group): Atlantic, East West America
Posted January 17 2015 — 11:46 AM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Olivia Wilde, Brad Paisley, Brandy Norwood & More!