Good news, flesh-eating-zombie fans. This remake of Night of the Living Dead isn’t just a stillborn attempted reanimation of the original, as one would expect. Produced by George Romero (director of the 1968 flick) and directed by his longtime special-effects specialist, Tom Savini, the movie is rumored to have been made solely so Romero could make some big bucks off Living Dead, having lost rights to the original in lousy business deals. Luckily, nothing so cynical shows on-screen. While Savini closely follows the first movie, he adds lots of shocks and twists of his own, not to mention more splatter. The many rehashes in plot and character (including the use of actors who resemble their predecessors) only make Savini’s changes that much more fun to watch for loyal followers. One significant switch is the female characters; they’re far more assertive — and appealing — this time. The movie can’t rival the first for no-budget inventiveness, but its brand of no-nonsense terror will still stir zombie devotees to eat it up.
Night of the Living Dead (Movie - 1990) Good news, flesh-eating-zombie fans. This remake of Night of the Living Dead isn't just a stillborn attempted reanimation of the...Night of the Living Dead (Movie - 1990)HorrorGeorge RomeroPT88MR Good news, flesh-eating-zombie fans. This remake of Night of the Living Dead isn't just a stillborn attempted reanimation of the...1991-04-19Tom TowlesColumbia Pictures
Genre: Horror; Starring: Patricia Tallman, Tony Todd, Tom Towles; Director: Tom Savini; Author: George Romero; Runtime (in minutes): 88; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Columbia Pictures
Posted April 19 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 1D's Liam Payne announces third single from 'Made in the A.M.'
- New 'Luther' trailer asks: 'You scared of me?'
- Drake: 'I'd do anything with Adele' — including a 'Hotline Bling' remix
- National Dog Show names Charlie the Skye terrier its Best in Show
- CBS will air two Super Bowl commercial specials before 'Super Bowl 50'
- Amy Schumer, Mindy Kaling, and more celebs give thanks on social media
- Highlights from the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade