This sprightly young dance diva begins Chase the Clouds, her debut album, like a prayer: ”Now I lay me down to sleep/Pray for your love to keep/If you should leave before the dawn/Remember this while you are gone.” Keedy’s deadpan phrasing, accompanied by a minimalist drone, could be a parody of Madonna’s flat delivery. Then she begins to sing, and her voice is pretty and full, but her words turn bitter as she scolds her lover for treating her like a swinging door. The opera-trained Keedy has a warm, wholesome sound guaranteed to perk up male hormones, making her irresistible when, in ”Pretty Boy,” she dreams of picking up the handsome lad next door in daddy’s Chevy. But she is most devastating as an introvert, curling up inside ornate ballad arrangements full of tiny bells, tinny chimes, and tick-tocking clocks, the way she does in ”Sorry,” when she chews out her sleeping son’s father for coming home late again. A few songs conform too timidly to Paula Abdul’s bland brand of pseudo-disco, but between Keedy’s moments of innocent abandon and her spans of shivery sadness, Chase the Clouds is one sweet way to kick off a career. B+
Chase the Clouds This sprightly young dance diva begins Chase the Clouds, her debut album, like a prayer: ''Now I lay me down to sleep/Pray for your...Chase the CloudsPop This sprightly young dance diva begins Chase the Clouds, her debut album, like a prayer: ''Now I lay me down to sleep/Pray for your...1991-04-26
Genre: Pop; Lead Performer: Keedy; Producer (group): Arista
Posted January 17 2015 — 11:46 AM EST
- Josh Charles joins Masters of Sex in major role
- Exclusive 'Finding Carter' trailer: Carter hooks up with ... Max?
- 'Mr. Sloane' creator talks about his Nick Frost sitcom and the future of 'Curb Your Enthusiasm'
- U2 puts on surprise performance on New York subway platform
- Sex workers featured on A&E's '8 Minutes' say network failed to offer help, privacy
- 'So You Think You Can Dance' preview clip: Your verdict on the judges?
- 'Conan' is going to Comic-Con
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Rob & Kate, Anna Kendrick, Vanessa & Selena and More!