This sprightly young dance diva begins Chase the Clouds, her debut album, like a prayer: ”Now I lay me down to sleep/Pray for your love to keep/If you should leave before the dawn/Remember this while you are gone.” Keedy’s deadpan phrasing, accompanied by a minimalist drone, could be a parody of Madonna’s flat delivery. Then she begins to sing, and her voice is pretty and full, but her words turn bitter as she scolds her lover for treating her like a swinging door. The opera-trained Keedy has a warm, wholesome sound guaranteed to perk up male hormones, making her irresistible when, in ”Pretty Boy,” she dreams of picking up the handsome lad next door in daddy’s Chevy. But she is most devastating as an introvert, curling up inside ornate ballad arrangements full of tiny bells, tinny chimes, and tick-tocking clocks, the way she does in ”Sorry,” when she chews out her sleeping son’s father for coming home late again. A few songs conform too timidly to Paula Abdul’s bland brand of pseudo-disco, but between Keedy’s moments of innocent abandon and her spans of shivery sadness, Chase the Clouds is one sweet way to kick off a career. B+
Chase the Clouds This sprightly young dance diva begins Chase the Clouds, her debut album, like a prayer: ''Now I lay me down to sleep/Pray for your...Chase the CloudsPop This sprightly young dance diva begins Chase the Clouds, her debut album, like a prayer: ''Now I lay me down to sleep/Pray for your...1991-04-26
Genre: Pop; Lead Performer: Keedy; Producer (group): Arista
Posted April 26 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- NBC pulls plug on 'Coach' revival
- 'AHS: Hotel': Ryan Murphy shares three super creepy teasers
- Casting Net: Missi Pyle, Joey Lawrence hit horse rescue drama 'Emma's Chance'
- Rick Ross announces new album will be released this week
- Kesha to guest-star on 'Jane the Virgin'
- 'Dancing With the Stars': Peta Murgatroyd to skip season due to injury
- Jack Black wants to tell you a story in the new 'Goosebumps' trailer
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Reese Witherspoon, Aziz Ansari, Brooks & Julianne and More!