The idea for a movie script in which a rich couple crosses paths with a deaf-mute chambermaid in a posh London hotel was still taking shape in director Michael Lindsay-Hogg’s mind when he spotted British sculptor Henry Moore’s Head on a Bone Base in the window of a Bond Street art gallery. ”I was so taken by the power of this strange little misshapen head that I decided this is what the rich couple should have and this is what the maid should steal,” says Lindsay-Hogg. But, as The Object of Beauty crew later discovered, persuading the Henry Moore Foundation to lend them the four-and-a quarter-inch-high sculpture (value: $7,000 — $14,000) was only the beginning. The director explains: ”When we placed it on the set’s bedside table, we found that it was too small in relationship to the telephone and lamps.” To right the aesthetic wrong, artist Derek Howarth, a former apprentice to Moore in the ’60s, was enlisted to make three plaster and three fiberglass replicas approximately 1 1/2 times the size of the bronze original. Ultimately, the movie’s inanimate star and its stand-ins split time on-screen. Only the close-ups focus on the bronze, while the scene in which the maid hides the sculpture in a sink of soaking laundry, for example, features the fiberglass version.
Posted April 26 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Cindy Crawford is developing NBC series about fashion in the '80s
- Chris Pine reportedly signed for 'Wonder Woman'
- 'Orange Is the New Black': What happened to Nicky Nichols?
- 'Empire' creator goes behind the scenes of 'American Crime Story'
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: Travis Wall talks controversial elimination
- 'Doctor Who' is headed to theaters in September
- Aziz Ansari's Netflix comedy snags Claire Danes and more
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- The Hemsworths, Eva Longoria, Tom Cruise & More!