K.C. and the Sunshine Band normally get pigeonholed as a nostalgic ’70s footnote, somewhere between WIN buttons and Shaun Cassidy lunch boxes. But they were — and remain — more vital than that. K.C. and the Sunshine Band: In Concert is a 55-minute concert tape which affirms that Harry Wayne Casey (alias K.C.) ran one of the great dance bands of the predisco era, creating a signature refiguring of James Brown funk. Trousered in sparkling ”elephant bells,” the group pumps out sweat-inducing renditions of hits like ”That’s the Way (I Like It)” and ”Shotgun Shuffle.” Along with the propulsive bass lines (provided by K.C.’s cowriter, Richard Finch), the music was known for its Caribbean influences, evident here in the band’s buoyant take on the smash they wrote for George McCrae, ”Rock Your Baby.” Throughout the performance, this 12-piece band cooks up a sound most modern beat masters need machines to create.
In Concert K.C. and the Sunshine Band normally get pigeonholed as a nostalgic '70s footnote, somewhere between WIN buttons and Shaun Cassidy lunch boxes. But they...In Concert K.C. and the Sunshine Band normally get pigeonholed as a nostalgic '70s footnote, somewhere between WIN buttons and Shaun Cassidy lunch boxes. But they...1991-04-26
Posted April 26 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Chicago Med' has two new showrunners
- Fox changes name of its new series 'The Frankenstein Code'
- Chaka Khan set for 'Dancing With the Stars'
- Why Wayne Brady freaked out at the chance to play drag queen Lola in 'Kinky Boots'
- 'American Dad!' renewed for two seasons
- Nicki Minaj will open the MTV VMAs on Sunday
- Miley Cyrus addresses Nicki Minaj's VMAs comments in new interview
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Miley Cyrus, Taylor & Selena, The Voice Crew & More!