Deadicated sounds like a parody of the recent wave of pop tribute albums. Here, musicians with backgrounds in country, punk, reggae, alternative rock, and folk, among other styles, remake the songs of the Grateful Dead, the least hip of all music icons since Lawrence Welk. What sounds embarrassing on paper, though, turns out to be a pleasant surprise. Unlike too many tribute records, this one isn’t self-consciously campy or ironic; the artists actually seem to enjoy singing and playing these loping tunes, both when the remakes sound austere and when they’re slightly goofy. There’s ”Casey Jones” as a barroom singalong from Warren Zevon and sideman David Lindley, ”Uncle John’s Band” as a campfire anthem via the Indigo Girls, and ”Truckin”’ turned into something like a truckstop jukebox favorite by Dwight Yoakam — not to mention Jane’s Addiction’s loopy psychedelic version of ”Ripple.” Other artists, like Cowboy Junkies and Midnight Oil, sound hapless, and Elvis Costello has unfortunately chosen the dull ”Ship of Fools.” Even in the album’s drabber moments, though, the musicians treat these songs with the care and respect normally given to revered pop standards. That makes Deadicated the guiltiest of pleasures — it gives you a peek into what some of the hippest of musicians really listened to during their formative teen years. B+
DeadicatedDeadicated sounds like a parody of the recent wave of pop tribute albums. Here, musicians with backgrounds in country, punk, reggae,...DeadicatedRockDeadicated sounds like a parody of the recent wave of pop tribute albums. Here, musicians with backgrounds in country, punk, reggae,...1991-05-03
Genre: Rock; Lead Performer: Various Artists
Posted January 17 2015 — 11:46 AM EST
- 'Outlander' boss Ronald Moore talks Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- Tatiana Maslany on 'Orphan Black' return, and 'totally changing up what people were going to expect'
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!