Viewed strictly from a Top 40 perspective, Thin Lizzy — the hard-rocking Irish guitar band that made 14 albums before the 1986 death of singer/bassist Phil Lynott — was a one-hit wonder. Few Americans are likely to remember much beyond ”The Boys Are Back in Town” and maybe ”Jailbreak,” a similarly taut dramatic tale from the 1976 LP of the same name. Dedication, a commendable effort to telescope Lizzy’s history, collects 18 tracks, but the inadequately annotated 76-minute compilation ignores entire albums, omits crucial songs, and avoids concert material by what was a sensational and well-documented live band. (Check 1978’s ”Live and Dangerous,” available on CD, for the proof.) Ironically, the clarity of digital remastering leaves a lot of the early work sounding woefully underproduced, reinforcing the impression that only the band’s commercial successes of the mid-’70s are essential listening. B-
Dedication (The Very Best of Thin Lizzy)Viewed strictly from a Top 40 perspective, Thin Lizzy — the hard-rocking Irish guitar band that made 14 albums before the 1986 death of singer...Dedication (The Very Best of Thin Lizzy)Reissues, MetalViewed strictly from a Top 40 perspective, Thin Lizzy — the hard-rocking Irish guitar band that made 14 albums before the 1986 death of singer...1991-05-03
Genre: Reissues, Metal; Producer (group): Mercury Records
Posted January 17 2015 — 11:46 AM EST
- Zayn Malik thanks One Direction at event
- Pixar's 'Inside Out' peek: Joy has a special job for Sadness on first day at a new school
- ACM Awards' host Luke Bryan on big stage: 'It's fun to have a touch of anxiety'
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany says fan love is 'like fuel for us'
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!