A near-fiasco, though it sounded like a great idea: Judy Davis, the supremely earthy Australian actress from My Brilliant Career and A Passage to India, as renegade 19th-century novelist George Sand, who dressed in men’s clothes and believed in free love long before the term was invented. During a two-week retreat at a country estate, Sand goes gaga over Frederic Chopin (Hugh Grant), who turns out to be an innocent simpleton. Sand doesn’t mind: She’s so taken with his music that she knows she’s found a soul mate. Impromptu, which wants to be a celebration of love and art, takes off from the eminently funny and promising idea that Sand and her circle of artist friends had romantic and sensual appetites every bit as powerful as their creative fervor. Unfortunately, director James Lapine attempts to demonstrate this by turning the characters into amorous clowns out of a campy soap opera; the fact that there are famous names pasted onto all the twittery shenanigans only makes the film feel that much more like a Monty Python sketch. Even Davis is vaguely embarrassing. As Sand, she’s supposed to respond to Chopin’s music because she hears its depth and artistry — but judging from how swoony and girlish she gets every time he sits down at the piano, she could just as well be fawning over the latest Michael Bolton single. D
Genre: Historical, Drama; Starring: Hugh Grant, Judy Davis, Mandy Patinkin, Bernadette Peters, Julian Sands, Emma Thompson; Director: James Lapine; Author: Sarah Kernochan; Runtime (in minutes): 107; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: MGM Home Entertainment
Posted May 3 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Jackson family remembers Michael Jackson on his birthday
- Amal Clooney says Egyptian Al-Jazeera conviction 'sends a dangerous message'
- 5 best non-singles from Kanye West's 'Late Registration' on its 10th anniversary
- 'Supernatural': Jensen Ackles talks season 11's female big bad
- See the Foo Fighters rock out with Blues Traveler's John Popper
- Hootie explains how he got name-checked in 'Mo Money Mo Problems'
- 9 little-known facts about Rihanna's first album
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Darius Rucker, Paris Hilton, Nick & Pharrell and More!