New Jack City is a fast and furious movie, but the soundtrack disc is slow and predictable. The music adequately conveys the film’s themes — the frustrated expectations of youth, the search for easy money in the drug trade, and other dismal realities of street life — but they’re muted by the seamless, overproduced black pop that dominates the collection and smooths over the message’s rough edges. The rap cuts come a little closer to raising our blood pressure, but not much. Even Ice-T, who convincingly crawls into the mind of a ”New Jack Hustler” on the song of that name, was more chilling with similar material on the soundtrack of ”Colors.” The good news is Guy, who get playfully loose and funky on the title track; if only the rest of the album had matched their example. C+
New Jack CityNew Jack City is a fast and furious movie, but the soundtrack disc is slow and predictable. The music adequately conveys the film's...New Jack CitySoundtracksNew Jack City is a fast and furious movie, but the soundtrack disc is slow and predictable. The music adequately conveys the film's...1991-05-03
Genre: Soundtracks; Lead Performer: Various Artists; Producer (group): Giant, Warner Bros.
Posted May 3 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Mark Hamill to return as The Joker for 'The Killing Joke'
- Hugh Jackman shares final ‘Wolverine’ teaser image
- Casting Net: Morgan Freeman leads up action film 'Down to a Sunless Sea'
- 'The Bachelorette': And the 'winner' is...
- Richard Linklater in talks to direct Jennifer Lawrence in 'The Rosie Project'
- 'All the Bright Places' starring Elle Fanning finds its director
- HBO developing new Wild West drama series 'Untamed'
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Matthew & Keri, Katy Perry, Cate Blanchett & More!