The Object of Beauty is a mild but charmingly off-kilter romantic comedy. Jake (John Malkovich) and Tina (Andie MacDowell) are floating bons vivants who travel from country to country, running up tabs in swanky hotels and keeping one step ahead of their creditors. The two are genuinely in love-yet the second their ”fortune” begins to unravel, so do their ties to one another. Writer-director Michael Lindsay-Hogg gently satirizes love in an era of buy-now-pay-later brinkmanship. The film moves at a casual tempo that’s often a little too lifelike, but the two stars establish a teasing intimacy. Malkovich makes Jake’s haughty belief in his own persuasive powers bizarrely attractive, and MacDowell finds a core of grace in Tina, whose life is a series of carefree addictions (she’s hooked on booze, Jake, and the good life). At times, these two spoiled-brat innocents suggest the embattled protagonists of Sid and Nancy, only with charge cards instead of heroin. B
Genre: Drama, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Andie MacDowell, John Malkovich, Lolita Davidovich, Peter Riegert; Director: Michael Lindsay-Hogg; Author: Michael Lindsay-Hogg; Runtime (in minutes): 103; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: LIVE Video
Posted January 17 2015 — 11:46 AM EST
- '12 Monkeys' exec producer: THAT Ramse arc 'planned from the first minute'
- Prince sued in recording battle over 'Voice' singer Judith Hill
- James Bond enters a 'hurricane' in first 'Spectre' teaser
- 'Legend of Zelda' for Wii U delayed
- Kit Harington fights terrorism in 'Spooks: The Greater Good' trailer
- Billie Joe Armstrong musical 'These Paper Bullets!' coming to LA, NYC
- 'It Follows': The story behind the score
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- Jimmy Fallon, Liv Tyler, Emilia Clarke & More!