The Object of Beauty is a mild but charmingly off-kilter romantic comedy. Jake (John Malkovich) and Tina (Andie MacDowell) are floating bons vivants who travel from country to country, running up tabs in swanky hotels and keeping one step ahead of their creditors. The two are genuinely in love-yet the second their ”fortune” begins to unravel, so do their ties to one another. Writer-director Michael Lindsay-Hogg gently satirizes love in an era of buy-now-pay-later brinkmanship. The film moves at a casual tempo that’s often a little too lifelike, but the two stars establish a teasing intimacy. Malkovich makes Jake’s haughty belief in his own persuasive powers bizarrely attractive, and MacDowell finds a core of grace in Tina, whose life is a series of carefree addictions (she’s hooked on booze, Jake, and the good life). At times, these two spoiled-brat innocents suggest the embattled protagonists of Sid and Nancy, only with charge cards instead of heroin. B
Genre: Drama, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Andie MacDowell, John Malkovich, Lolita Davidovich, Peter Riegert; Director: Michael Lindsay-Hogg; Author: Michael Lindsay-Hogg; Runtime (in minutes): 103; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: LIVE Video
Posted May 3 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Ghostbusters' new car: Paul Feig reveals #whattheygonnadrive
- Gay marriage ruling movie in the works at Fox
- Casting Net: Ellen Page signs on for Iraq War drama Lioness
- Hillary Clinton talks 'SNL' impressions
- Miss USA pageant names new hosts
- Rosie Perez leaving 'The View'
- Jeff Goldblum and wife welcome first son on the only possible day
- 'American Idol Live!' tour photos: Let's go backstage!
- They look like THAT now? See some of the latest child stars all grown up
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- Khloé Kardashian, Paul Rudd, Taylor Swift & More!