He is middle-aged, talented as hell, and you’ve never heard of him. Such is life for Chris Rea in these United States — where, despite oodles of admiration from every other corner of the world, he haven’t had a fair hearing in 10 years. Englishman Rea had a pop hit in ‘78 with ”Fool (If You Think It’s Over)” and then vaporized; he has since become a major European star who gets compared to Dire Straits a lot. Rea is an interesting writer. In Auberge, even a simple song like ”Gone Fishing,” about relationships gone sour, has an ominous undercurrent. So what have we got? It may be unfair to use the Y word — after all, the guy sounded like this before most young urbanites went pro — but this album, slickly produced, is aimed directly at the heart of the thirtysomething nation. B+
AubergeHe is middle-aged, talented as hell, and you've never heard of him. Such is life for Chris Rea in these United States — where, despite oodles of...AubergePopHe is middle-aged, talented as hell, and you've never heard of him. Such is life for Chris Rea in these United States — where, despite oodles of...1991-05-10
Genre: Pop; Lead Performer: Chris Rea; Producer (group): Atco
Posted May 10 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Arthur Conan Doyle's estate is suing Miramax over 'Mr. Holmes'
- A$AP Rocky and Schoolboy Q shock with 'Electric Body'
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen aren't returning for Netflix's 'Fuller House'
- Two more (unofficial) Drake songs leak, including Tinashe collaboration
- Bask in '90s nostalgia with this a ca-mazing 'Boy Meets World' medley
- Eminem to executive produce 'Southpaw' soundtrack: Hear a sneak peek of his new song
- Michael B. Jordan: Why I'm Torching the color line in 'Fantastic Four'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- George Clooney, Meghan Trainor, Pharrell & Zoë and More!