He is middle-aged, talented as hell, and you’ve never heard of him. Such is life for Chris Rea in these United States — where, despite oodles of admiration from every other corner of the world, he haven’t had a fair hearing in 10 years. Englishman Rea had a pop hit in ‘78 with ”Fool (If You Think It’s Over)” and then vaporized; he has since become a major European star who gets compared to Dire Straits a lot. Rea is an interesting writer. In Auberge, even a simple song like ”Gone Fishing,” about relationships gone sour, has an ominous undercurrent. So what have we got? It may be unfair to use the Y word — after all, the guy sounded like this before most young urbanites went pro — but this album, slickly produced, is aimed directly at the heart of the thirtysomething nation. B+
AubergeHe is middle-aged, talented as hell, and you've never heard of him. Such is life for Chris Rea in these United States — where, despite oodles of...AubergePopHe is middle-aged, talented as hell, and you've never heard of him. Such is life for Chris Rea in these United States — where, despite oodles of...1991-05-10
Genre: Pop; Lead Performer: Chris Rea; Producer (group): Atco
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' earns $187.7 million in opening weekend
- Spice Girls reunite at David Beckham's birthday
- 'Dances With Wolves' writer Michael Blake dies
- Jamie Foxx's National Anthem at Mayweather-Pacquiao fight: You be the judge
- 'Orphan Black' bosses on 'an interesting revelation for us'
- 'SNL': How'd Scarlett Johansson and Wiz Khalifa do?
- 'Scandal' panel: 5 best moments, season finale teases
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Kerry Washington, Plus Gwen Stefani, the Spelling-McDermott Family & More!