He is middle-aged, talented as hell, and you’ve never heard of him. Such is life for Chris Rea in these United States — where, despite oodles of admiration from every other corner of the world, he haven’t had a fair hearing in 10 years. Englishman Rea had a pop hit in ‘78 with ”Fool (If You Think It’s Over)” and then vaporized; he has since become a major European star who gets compared to Dire Straits a lot. Rea is an interesting writer. In Auberge, even a simple song like ”Gone Fishing,” about relationships gone sour, has an ominous undercurrent. So what have we got? It may be unfair to use the Y word — after all, the guy sounded like this before most young urbanites went pro — but this album, slickly produced, is aimed directly at the heart of the thirtysomething nation. B+
AubergeHe is middle-aged, talented as hell, and you've never heard of him. Such is life for Chris Rea in these United States — where, despite oodles of...AubergePopHe is middle-aged, talented as hell, and you've never heard of him. Such is life for Chris Rea in these United States — where, despite oodles of...1991-05-10
Genre: Pop; Lead Performer: Chris Rea; Producer (group): Atco
Posted May 10 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo': Top 10 Kindle highlights
- 'American Gods': First look at Kristin Chenoweth as Easter
- Stars rally behind Leslie Jones after website hack
- Bob Odenkirk to write book on life, 'Better Call Saul,' 'Breaking Bad'
- Bella Thorne to produce Lifetime vampire flick
- Hailee Steinfeld talks bad haircuts, coming of age in 'Edge of Seventeen'
- 'Underground' adds Aisha Hinds as Harriet Tubman for season 2
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...