He is middle-aged, talented as hell, and you’ve never heard of him. Such is life for Chris Rea in these United States — where, despite oodles of admiration from every other corner of the world, he haven’t had a fair hearing in 10 years. Englishman Rea had a pop hit in ‘78 with ”Fool (If You Think It’s Over)” and then vaporized; he has since become a major European star who gets compared to Dire Straits a lot. Rea is an interesting writer. In Auberge, even a simple song like ”Gone Fishing,” about relationships gone sour, has an ominous undercurrent. So what have we got? It may be unfair to use the Y word — after all, the guy sounded like this before most young urbanites went pro — but this album, slickly produced, is aimed directly at the heart of the thirtysomething nation. B+
AubergeHe is middle-aged, talented as hell, and you've never heard of him. Such is life for Chris Rea in these United States — where, despite oodles of...AubergePopHe is middle-aged, talented as hell, and you've never heard of him. Such is life for Chris Rea in these United States — where, despite oodles of...1991-05-10
Genre: Pop; Lead Performer: Chris Rea; Producer (group): Atco
Posted May 10 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Survivor' players on the most shameless thing they did for fan votes
- Hugh Dancy explains that shocking 'Hannibal' series finale
- 'Hannibal' music supervisor on working with Siouxsie Sioux for the finale's song
- Ansel Elgort remembers former classmate after his death
- New 'Downton Abbey' trailer previews final season
- 'Les Miserables' actor dies at 21
- Jackson family remembers Michael Jackson on his birthday
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Demi Lovato, Nicki Minaj, Bill Murray, Bruce Willis and More!