In its own way, this is as strange a record as has been released by any major label in quite a long time. Flyin’ the Flannel, the fourth album by fIREHOSE (yes, fIREHOSE) has all the weirdness found on the group’s earlier small-label efforts: nearly nonexistent song stucture, off-key singing, and inconsistent rhythms. On a conceptual level, this music almost seems more like jazz than rock & roll. It doesn’t sound like jazz, but how else to explain the stops and starts, the jarring noise, the occasional bit of striking lyricism, the where’re-we-goin’-now adventurism? All of this is more fun on paper than in execution; there are only a couple of melodies on this 16-track record, and what the songs are actually about remains a mystery. fIREHOSE is about what fIREHOSE does, which is to let its three members follow their muse. Where they end up is pretty strange territory. B-
Flyin' the FlannelIn its own way, this is as strange a record as has been released by any major label in quite a long time. Flyin' the Flannel, the fourth...Flyin' the FlannelRockIn its own way, this is as strange a record as has been released by any major label in quite a long time. Flyin' the Flannel, the fourth...1991-05-10
Posted May 10 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Scandal' star Bellamy Young talks Mellie's presidential chances
- Milo Ventimiglia to reprise his role as Jess in the 'Gilmore Girls' revival
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Ryan Reynolds reacts to 'Deadpool' costars' viral moment
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Ryan Reynolds on the man who made his 'penis look perfect'
- Adele's 'Carpool Karaoke' clip smashes YouTube records
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Ryan Reynolds remembers first date with Blake Lively
- Kanye West announces free livestream of Yeezy Season 3
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996
- 'Beautiful Girls': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Musicians Who Banned Candidates From Using Their Songs
- See '90s Stars at the 1996 'Broken Arrow' Premiere
- 35 Tom Hiddleston Photos For His 35th Birthday