Although Cynthia Heimel is frequently compared to Dorothy Parker, her cheeky takes on urban life (Sex Tips for Girls, A Girl’s Guide to Chaos) have actually created a neo-feminist genre of their own. In her new collection titled If You Can’t Live Without Me, Why Aren’t You Dead Yet?, Heimel blows off on everything from black clothing (”for people who inanely believe there is a counterculture”) to It’s a Wonderful Life (”singlehandedly responsible for the alarming escalation of suicides during the holiday season”). She has her downside — her girlish meditations on romance and club life are stale — but she redeems herself with bracing diatribes like ”Why I Hate Marilyn” (”She was fresh, she was dewy, and she was completely, utterly unconscious”). As a disaffected baby boomer, Heimel is a peppery amalgam of incongruities: She writes for Playboy and The Village Voice, she’s a pants-chaser whose first love is her teenage son, and while she speaks to the misanthropist in you, she renews your faith in the importance of foulmouthed, strong-minded women. A-
If You Can't Live Without Me, Why Aren't You Dead Yet? Although Cynthia Heimel is frequently compared to Dorothy Parker, her cheeky takes on urban life (Sex Tips for Girls, A Girl's Guide to...If You Can't Live Without Me, Why Aren't You Dead Yet?Comic Novels, Women's StudiesCynthia Heimel Although Cynthia Heimel is frequently compared to Dorothy Parker, her cheeky takes on urban life (Sex Tips for Girls, A Girl's Guide to...1991-05-10Atlantic Monthly Press
Genre: Comic Novels, Women's Studies; Author: Cynthia Heimel; Publisher: Atlantic Monthly Press
Posted May 10 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Ranking Shania Twain's 37 singles in honor of her 50th birthday
- 'It Follows' director responds to Tarantino's criticism
- Kelly Clarkson covers Dolly Parton's 'Jolene'
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' cast reveals the players they are surprised got voted in
- Why Kim Dickens almost turned down 'Fear the Walking Dead'
- Quentin Tarantino and Kevin Smith talk about renting porn in new book excerpt
- 5 Seconds of Summer explain how Third Eye Blind influenced their new album
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Emma Watson, Matt Damon, Helena Bonham Carter & More!