One person’s popular music is another person’s junk. Peter Gammond may not declare his tastes quite this strongly in this music reference book, but it isn’t hard to read between the entries. Of course, he includes the major names — from Bing Crosby to Crosby, Stills & Nash — but his biases show up in the less obvious musicians included. Gammond’s Companion evinces his fascination with theatrical music of the near and distant past by extensive sections on people like Austrian singer-actress Lotte Lenya, This book will serve the general reader well, but those with traditional (that is, square) or hip (that is, rowdy) ears should choose accordingly. A-
The Oxford Companion to Popular Music One person's popular music is another person's junk. Peter Gammond may not declare his tastes quite this strongly in this music reference book, but it...The Oxford Companion to Popular MusicNonfiction, MusicPeter Gammond One person's popular music is another person's junk. Peter Gammond may not declare his tastes quite this strongly in this music reference book, but it...1991-05-10Oxford
Genre: Nonfiction, Music; Author: Peter Gammond; Publisher: Oxford
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Naomi Campbell, Jessica & Rosario, the Star Wars Cast & More