One person’s popular music is another person’s junk. Donald Clarke may not declare his tastes quite this strongly in this music reference book, but it isn’t hard to read between the entries. Of course, he includes the major names — from Bing Crosby to Crosby, Stills & Nash — but his biases show up in the less obvious musicians included. Clarke’s Encyclopedia revels in night-spot musicians like the rockabilly belter Wanda Jackson. This book will serve the general reader well, but those with traditional (that is, square) or hip (that is, rowdy) ears should choose accordingly. A-
The Penguin Encyclopedia of Popular Music One person's popular music is another person's junk. Donald Clarke may not declare his tastes quite this strongly in this music reference book, but it...The Penguin Encyclopedia of Popular MusicMusic, NonfictionDonald Clarke One person's popular music is another person's junk. Donald Clarke may not declare his tastes quite this strongly in this music reference book, but it...1991-05-10Penguin
Genre: Music, Nonfiction; Author: Donald Clarke; Publisher: Penguin
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- Watch LL Cool J really try to play Pictionary with Jimmy Fallon, Rose Byrne and Big Sean
- Stream Blur's album 'The Magic Whip' on iTunes First Play
- Next 'Transformers' expected in 2017
- 'Furious 7's James Wan to produce 'The Entity' remake
- Helen Mirren talks about her love of Vin Diesel on 'Late Night'
- Waka Flocka Flame to run for president
- Batman costume from 'Batman v Superman': Take a good look
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet style: We grade the looks
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet arrivals: What they wore
- Blake Lively in 'Age of Adaline': Style when you're forever 29
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- Hayden Panettiere, Olivia Munn, Salma Hayek & More!