One person’s popular music is another person’s junk. Donald Clarke may not declare his tastes quite this strongly in this music reference book, but it isn’t hard to read between the entries. Of course, he includes the major names — from Bing Crosby to Crosby, Stills & Nash — but his biases show up in the less obvious musicians included. Clarke’s Encyclopedia revels in night-spot musicians like the rockabilly belter Wanda Jackson. This book will serve the general reader well, but those with traditional (that is, square) or hip (that is, rowdy) ears should choose accordingly. A-
The Penguin Encyclopedia of Popular Music One person's popular music is another person's junk. Donald Clarke may not declare his tastes quite this strongly in this music reference book, but it...The Penguin Encyclopedia of Popular MusicMusic, NonfictionDonald Clarke One person's popular music is another person's junk. Donald Clarke may not declare his tastes quite this strongly in this music reference book, but it...1991-05-10Penguin
Genre: Music, Nonfiction; Author: Donald Clarke; Publisher: Penguin
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- Angelina Jolie makes first public appearance since her surgery at the Kids Choice Awards
- Kids Choice Awards 2015 winners are...
- 'SNL react: Your quick take on The Rock and George Ezra?
- Hugh Jackman teases final go-round as 'Wolverine' on Instagram
- J.K. Rowling's 'Casual Vacancy' miniseries gets a trailer
- Sacha Baron Cohen as Freddie Mercury
- Justin Moore on touring with Miranda Lambert, new music, and getting to play Madison Square Garden
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- The Clooneys, Sienna Miller, Kate & Kate and More!