One person’s popular music is another person’s junk. Donald Clarke may not declare his tastes quite this strongly in this music reference book, but it isn’t hard to read between the entries. Of course, he includes the major names — from Bing Crosby to Crosby, Stills & Nash — but his biases show up in the less obvious musicians included. Clarke’s Encyclopedia revels in night-spot musicians like the rockabilly belter Wanda Jackson. This book will serve the general reader well, but those with traditional (that is, square) or hip (that is, rowdy) ears should choose accordingly. A-
The Penguin Encyclopedia of Popular Music One person's popular music is another person's junk. Donald Clarke may not declare his tastes quite this strongly in this music reference book, but it...The Penguin Encyclopedia of Popular MusicMusic, NonfictionDonald Clarke One person's popular music is another person's junk. Donald Clarke may not declare his tastes quite this strongly in this music reference book, but it...1991-05-10Penguin
Genre: Music, Nonfiction; Author: Donald Clarke; Publisher: Penguin
Posted May 10 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- See Meghan Trainor drawn as a 'Peanuts' character
- Mark Hamill to return as The Joker for 'The Killing Joke'
- Hugh Jackman shares final ‘Wolverine’ teaser image
- Casting Net: Morgan Freeman leads up action film 'Down to a Sunless Sea'
- 'The Bachelorette': And the 'winner' is...
- Richard Linklater in talks to direct Jennifer Lawrence in 'The Rosie Project'
- 'All the Bright Places' starring Elle Fanning finds its director
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Beyoncé, Kanye West, Uma Thurman & More!