One person’s popular music is another person’s junk. Donald Clarke may not declare his tastes quite this strongly in this music reference book, but it isn’t hard to read between the entries. Of course, he includes the major names — from Bing Crosby to Crosby, Stills & Nash — but his biases show up in the less obvious musicians included. Clarke’s Encyclopedia revels in night-spot musicians like the rockabilly belter Wanda Jackson. This book will serve the general reader well, but those with traditional (that is, square) or hip (that is, rowdy) ears should choose accordingly. A-
The Penguin Encyclopedia of Popular Music One person's popular music is another person's junk. Donald Clarke may not declare his tastes quite this strongly in this music reference book, but it...The Penguin Encyclopedia of Popular MusicMusic, NonfictionDonald Clarke One person's popular music is another person's junk. Donald Clarke may not declare his tastes quite this strongly in this music reference book, but it...1991-05-10Penguin
Genre: Music, Nonfiction; Author: Donald Clarke; Publisher: Penguin
Posted May 10 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Alabama Shakes frontwoman Brittany Howard drops surprise album
- 8 debut albums to get excited about this fall
- Salma Hayek was in a love triangle with two monkeys
- 11 duos who should host the 2016 Oscars
- See Bryan Cranston’s transformation into LBJ for HBO biopic
- 'The Good Wife' actor Dylan Baker tried to save his neighbor from a fire
- Samantha Bee's 'Full Frontal' to premiere in January: See first promo
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Diane Kruger, Padma Lakshmi, Elle Fanning & More!