They weren’t deep. They had no glamour. And yet the Turtles ranked as one of the great pop bands of the ’60s. Extensive proof too extensive is offered in The Turtles: Happy Together, a 90-minute tape covering the group’s history of hits from its folk-rock cover of Bob Dylan’s ”It Ain’t Me Babe” to the pure pop of ”Elenore.” Included are lots of vintage promo clips and TV lip-synched performances. All are a hoot, especially a 1967 clip of the group miming its biggest hit, ”Happy Together,” on The Smothers Brothers Show, with second singer Mark Volman dressed as a ladybug. The group was good at cutting up, and it had to be: The fellows’ portly figures and geeky looks made charm a prerequisite. They retain that likability in recent interviews included here. The now middle-aged Turtles tell colorful stories about meeting heroes like Dylan, who greeted them face down in a plate of pasta. Ultimately, such stories go on too long. But to serious mop-top fans, every moment will seem utterly fab. B+
The Turtles: Happy TogetherThey weren't deep. They had no glamour. And yet the Turtles ranked as one of the great pop bands of the '60s. Extensive proof too extensive is offered...The Turtles: Happy TogetherDocumentary, MusicalUnratedThey weren't deep. They had no glamour. And yet the Turtles ranked as one of the great pop bands of the '60s. Extensive proof too extensive is offered...1991-05-10Rhino Video
Genre: Documentary, Musical; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Rhino Video
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- 'Inside Amy Schumer' renewed
- 'RuPaul's Drag Race': Our audience with returning queen
- 'Bachelorette' first promo: This crazytown ain't big enough for the both of them
- 'Originals' boss breaks down latest shockers, previews a devastating finale
- 'Ant-Man' gets a tiny billboard campaign
- Django Django unveil trippy, magenta-hued video for 'Beginning to Fade'
- 'Agents of SHIELD' spinoff to star Adrianne Palicki, Nick Blood
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet style: We grade the looks
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet arrivals: What they wore
- Blake Lively in 'Age of Adaline': Style when you're forever 29
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- Katy Perry, Tim & Faith, Blake Lively and More!