R.E.M.’s lead singer, Michael Stipe, recently announced that Inspiral Carpets’ The Beast Inside was his favorite new record — but I sure wonder what he likes about it. On the album, the trendy British ’60s-inspired band attempts to transmogrify itself into a deeply arty group, using simple musical tricks: They add eerie, synthesized whooshy wind noises and try Beethoven’s old trick of going from soft to loud real fast. The record begins with a few reasonably groovy songs, of which ”Born Yesterday” and ”Grip” are the best; the former even has — surprise! — a tune. Eventually, however, things degenerate into a form of music that can only be called progressive rock. But, unlike Yes and Emerson, Lake & Palmer, bands whom the Carpets’ keyboard-heavy music passingly resembles, the Carpets aren’t particularly accomplished musicians. My advice? Buy Michael Stipe’s records, not his opinions. C+
The Beast InsideR.E.M.'s lead singer, Michael Stipe, recently announced that Inspiral Carpets' The Beast Inside was his favorite new record — but...The Beast InsideRockR.E.M.'s lead singer, Michael Stipe, recently announced that Inspiral Carpets' The Beast Inside was his favorite new record — but...1991-05-17
Genre: Rock; Producer (group): Elektra, Mute
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- Zayn Malik thanks One Direction at event
- Pixar's 'Inside Out' peek: Joy has a special job for Sadness on first day at a new school
- ACM Awards' host Luke Bryan on big stage: 'It's fun to have a touch of anxiety'
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany says fan love is 'like fuel for us'
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!