Steve Lacy makes so many records that it’s hard to keep up, but Hot House is a standout. Today’s foremost soprano saxophonist is an improviser’s improviser, and when he bites into knotty jazz classics, as he does on this album, you can be certain he’ll find new ways to chew them up. Lacy, with his serpentine tone, can take a phrase, invert it, repeat it, permute it, and build an entirely fresh melodic construction on it. Pianist Mal Waldron, with whom he first recorded more than 10 years ago, is an ideal partner, providing a sleek, rhythmically implacable platform for Lacy to deconstruct classics by Herbie Nichols, Bud Powell, Tadd Dameron, Thelonious Monk, Duke Ellington, and Sidney Bechet. Bechet was the man who introduced the soprano saxophone into jazz, and Lacy pays homage to him with a version of his most famous melody, ”Petite Fleur,” that begins and ends in a kind of high-pitched bird song. The tempos don’t vary all that much, but, on its own terms, each of these pieces mesmerizes. A-
Hot House Steve Lacy makes so many records that it's hard to keep up, but Hot House is a standout. Today's foremost soprano saxophonist is an...Hot HouseJazz Steve Lacy makes so many records that it's hard to keep up, but Hot House is a standout. Today's foremost soprano saxophonist is an...1991-05-17
Genre: Jazz; Lead Performers: Mal Waldron, Steve Lacy
Posted May 17 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Behind the scenes of Ellie Goulding's empowering third album
- 'AHS' star shines in exclusive 'My All American' trailer
- Spoilers: Alex Kingston returns to 'Doctor Who'
- Jeff Probst debates the use of challenge advantages on 'Survivor'
- 'DWTS': And the fall 2015 celebrities are ...
- Joanna Newsom reveals new record is 'different from anything I did in the past
- Kevin Gates charged with battery after kicking female fan
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Diane Kruger, Padma Lakshmi, Elle Fanning & More!