It isn’t easy being a Next Big Thing. Just ask Marshall Crenshaw, who’s been dogged by also-ran status ever since his 1982 debut album. On subsequent records, Crenshaw’s brand of snappy-gait, ’60s-rooted pop has sounded strained. With Life’s Too Short, though, the pressure finally seems to be off — this is his most confident and relaxed album of original songs in years. He’s still singing about lovers who wander, the pangs of yearning, and the heartbreaking inevitability of fading emotions. But now the ballads have an effortless grace, the rockers kick harder than usual, and softer moments like ”Walkin’ Around,” on which he asks his better half to work out their troubles over a weekend stroll, seem to float on air. None of this will change the course of rock history, but Life’s Too Short has more important matters on its mind: coming to terms with life, letting things take their course — and finding solace from any and all dilemmas in choral-like vocal harmonies, walls of guitars, and hooks that never leave the brain. A-
Life's Too Short It isn't easy being a Next Big Thing. Just ask Marshall Crenshaw, who's been dogged by also-ran status ever since his 1982 debut album. On ...Life's Too ShortRock It isn't easy being a Next Big Thing. Just ask Marshall Crenshaw, who's been dogged by also-ran status ever since his 1982 debut album. On ...1991-05-17
Genre: Rock; Lead Performer: Marshall Crenshaw
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- 'RuPaul's Drag Race': Our exclusive audience with the queen of second chances
- 'Bachelorette' first promo: This crazytown ain't big enough for the both of them
- 'Originals' boss breaks down latest shockers, previews a devastating finale
- 'Ant-Man' gets a tiny billboard campaign
- Django Django unveil trippy, magenta-hued video for 'Beginning to Fade'
- 'Agents of SHIELD' spinoff to star Adrianne Palicki, Nick Blood
- AC/DC drummer Phil Rudd pleads guilty
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet style: We grade the looks
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet arrivals: What they wore
- Blake Lively in 'Age of Adaline': Style when you're forever 29
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- Katy Perry, Tim & Faith, Blake Lively and More!