It’s hard not to envy certain writers their bios. Take Irene Dische, for example. Born in Manhattan’s Washington Heights in 1952, Dische dropped out of high school at 17 to study the harpsichord in Salzburg, Austria, traveled throughout the Middle East and Africa, and eventually began to churn out articles, stories, and libretti, as well as directing a prizewinning documentary, Zacharias. What a slouch. And to make things worse, she’s produced an enviable first novel in Pious Secrets. This slim work, already a best-seller in Europe, recounts a romance between two pathologists at the New York City morgue. Dr. Ronald Hake enjoys dwelling on the metaphysical mysteries of his job, insisting that ”inside man lay not only insides, but also a soul, and that inside each soul was a dirty secret.” Dr. Connie Bauer, ”a blonde with a bosom so maternal she could not see her feet from a standing position,” is decidedly more earthy. Yet Connie, too, may be mucking around with secrets. For certain pieces of evidence suggest that her father, a retired architect living in the Jersey suburbs, is actually…Adolf Hitler. The premise sounds like fodder for the baddest of bad movies, but Dische exploits it brilliantly, obliquely, and with a sneaky sense of comedy. Rich and exact, her prose keeps peeling away layers of character and concealment, and true to its subject — the human soul — it lets at least a shadow of doubt fall over the story’s conclusion. A-
Pious Secrets It's hard not to envy certain writers their bios. Take Irene Dische, for example. Born in Manhattan's Washington Heights in 1952, Dische dropped out...Pious SecretsRomance, FictionIrene Dische It's hard not to envy certain writers their bios. Take Irene Dische, for example. Born in Manhattan's Washington Heights in 1952, Dische dropped out...1991-05-17Viking
Genre: Romance, Fiction; Author: Irene Dische; Publisher: Viking
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson hosts 'Saturday Night Live' this weekend: Talk about it here!
- Hugh Jackman teases final go-round as 'Wolverine' on Instagram
- J.K. Rowling's 'Casual Vacancy' miniseries gets a trailer
- Sacha Baron Cohen to write, direct, produce, and star in Freddie Mercury biopic
- Justin Moore on touring with Miranda Lambert, new music, and getting to play Madison Square Garden
- What we're reading now: Hammer Head by Nina MacLaughlin
- 'Daily Show': Trevor Noah's name floats as possible host; get a quick intro to his work
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- The Clooneys, Kate Mara, Sienna Miller & More!