It’s hard not to envy certain writers their bios. Take Irene Dische, for example. Born in Manhattan’s Washington Heights in 1952, Dische dropped out of high school at 17 to study the harpsichord in Salzburg, Austria, traveled throughout the Middle East and Africa, and eventually began to churn out articles, stories, and libretti, as well as directing a prizewinning documentary, Zacharias. What a slouch. And to make things worse, she’s produced an enviable first novel in Pious Secrets. This slim work, already a best-seller in Europe, recounts a romance between two pathologists at the New York City morgue. Dr. Ronald Hake enjoys dwelling on the metaphysical mysteries of his job, insisting that ”inside man lay not only insides, but also a soul, and that inside each soul was a dirty secret.” Dr. Connie Bauer, ”a blonde with a bosom so maternal she could not see her feet from a standing position,” is decidedly more earthy. Yet Connie, too, may be mucking around with secrets. For certain pieces of evidence suggest that her father, a retired architect living in the Jersey suburbs, is actually…Adolf Hitler. The premise sounds like fodder for the baddest of bad movies, but Dische exploits it brilliantly, obliquely, and with a sneaky sense of comedy. Rich and exact, her prose keeps peeling away layers of character and concealment, and true to its subject — the human soul — it lets at least a shadow of doubt fall over the story’s conclusion. A-
Pious Secrets It's hard not to envy certain writers their bios. Take Irene Dische, for example. Born in Manhattan's Washington Heights in 1952, Dische dropped out...Pious SecretsRomance, FictionIrene Dische It's hard not to envy certain writers their bios. Take Irene Dische, for example. Born in Manhattan's Washington Heights in 1952, Dische dropped out...1991-05-17Viking
Genre: Romance, Fiction; Author: Irene Dische; Status: In Season; Publisher: Viking
Posted May 17 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Kanye's new album: 'So Help Me God'
- 'SNL' react: Your quick take on Dakota Johnson and Alabama Shakes?
- 'Parks and Rec': On set for the final day
- John Green's 'Alaska' scriptwriters set
- Craig Ferguson set for ABC comedy pilot
- Will Smith back in 'Focus': What critics said
- 'The Red Road's Jason Momoa on season 2 and when we can expect Aquaman in action
- 20 TV series that nailed it with their very first scenes
- 'Last Man on Earth' guys salute inspirations
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Susan Sarandon, Prince William and More!