There’s just enough atmosphere, comedy, and raw acting talent in Bill Duke’s amiable gangster-caper movie, A Rage In Harlem, to make you wish the plot weren’t a complete shambles. Based on a novel by Chester Himes, it’s set in Harlem in 1956, where Jackson (Forest Whitaker), a religious young man with portraits of Jesus and his mother hanging over his bed, finds himself in the middle of a violent gang war centering on a chest of stolen gold. Jackson has been made into such a primly devout nerd that, despite the best efforts of the roly-poly Whitaker, he never comes alive as a character. A Rage in Harlem starts out full of high spirits but quickly deflates. Still, it may well be remembered as the movie debut of Robin Givens, who, clad in the slinkiest of slinky dresses, wiggles and vamps with a comic panache that rivals Ann-Margret’s. It’s one thing to ooze sex appeal. Givens does it with style. C-
A Rage in Harlem There's just enough atmosphere, comedy, and raw acting talent in Bill Duke's amiable gangster-caper movie, A Rage In Harlem, to make...A Rage in HarlemDrama, Mystery and ThrillerPT115MR There's just enough atmosphere, comedy, and raw acting talent in Bill Duke's amiable gangster-caper movie, A Rage In Harlem, to make...1991-05-17Danny GloverZakes MokaeDanny Glover, Zakes MokaeMiramax
Genre: Drama, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Robin Givens, Forest Whitaker, Danny Glover, Zakes Mokae; Director: Bill Duke; Runtime (in minutes): 115; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Miramax
Posted May 17 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Taylor Swift tops list of highest-paid musicians in 2015
- Colton Haynes gets honest about life after 'Arrow'
- #FeudSeason2: 9 showdowns Ryan Murphy should tackle next
- Adam McKay to direct fallen superhero story 'Irredeemable' for Fox
- Andrew McMahon reacts to possible Something Corporate reunion
- What to Watch Thursday: Olivia Colman, Julian Barratt star in 'Flowers'
- The Must List: 'The Good Wife' goes out in top form, Drake gets groovy