They may not make blaxploitation movies like the ’70s prototypes anymore, but the genre is still kicking — and shooting — in a new series made especially for home video. Starring newcomer Ashley Eastwood as ace government agent Yolanda Hill (code name: ”Sugar”), the Sugar Hill series carries on the tradition of films such as J.D.’s Revenge with plenty of sex and action, but with an important difference. Unlike most blaxploitation flicks of the ’70s, Sugar Hill is produced by an African-American, J. Vincent Parris, who says he’s aiming to add credibility to the body crunches in the new videos (Rockin’ With a Bullet, Dealin’ Dirty, Retribution).
Posted May 17 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Scream' postmortem: The killer speaks out!
- 'Scream' postmortem: The killer revealed! What's next?
- Fox News anchor Harris Faulkner sues Hasbro over same-named toy hamster
- Casting Net: Scott Eastwood set to become action star in 'Overdrive'
- 'Scream' honors Wes Craven during finale
- Ellen Page says her 'Freeheld' role inspired her to come out
- 'Brides of Dracula' series from 'Arrow' producer gets NBC pilot commitment
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Andrew & Laura, Rihanna and More!