They may not make blaxploitation movies like the ’70s prototypes anymore, but the genre is still kicking — and shooting — in a new series made especially for home video. Starring newcomer Ashley Eastwood as ace government agent Yolanda Hill (code name: ”Sugar”), the Sugar Hill series carries on the tradition of films such as J.D.’s Revenge with plenty of sex and action, but with an important difference. Unlike most blaxploitation flicks of the ’70s, Sugar Hill is produced by an African-American, J. Vincent Parris, who says he’s aiming to add credibility to the body crunches in the new videos (Rockin’ With a Bullet, Dealin’ Dirty, Retribution).
Posted May 17 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Harrison Ford has seen 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens'
- How Patricia Arquette went from almost becoming a midwife to winning an Oscar
- Amazon's 'Mozart in the Jungle': See the exclusive season 2 trailer
- 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' gets its very own ice cream flavors
- Patton Oswalt joins new 'Mystery Science Theater 3000'
- 'Spotlight' team takes a bow at Gotham Awards
- 'Star Wars Battlefront': 'Battle of Jakku' content available today for pre-order players