They may not make blaxploitation movies like the ’70s prototypes anymore, but the genre is still kicking — and shooting — in a new series made especially for home video. Starring newcomer Ashley Eastwood as ace government agent Yolanda Hill (code name: ”Sugar”), the Sugar Hill series carries on the tradition of films such as J.D.’s Revenge with plenty of sex and action, but with an important difference. Unlike most blaxploitation flicks of the ’70s, Sugar Hill is produced by an African-American, J. Vincent Parris, who says he’s aiming to add credibility to the body crunches in the new videos (Rockin’ With a Bullet, Dealin’ Dirty, Retribution).
Posted May 17 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'SNL' with Dakota Johnson and Alabama Shakes is on: Talk about it here
- 'Parks and Rec': On set for the final day
- John Green's 'Alaska' scriptwriters set
- Craig Ferguson set for ABC comedy pilot
- Will Smith back in 'Focus': What critics said
- 'The Red Road's Jason Momoa on season 2 and when we can expect Aquaman in action
- Look, but don't retouch? What our female celeb photo fascination says about us
- 20 TV series that nailed it with their very first scenes
- 'Last Man on Earth' guys salute inspirations
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Susan Sarandon, Prince William and More!