They may not make blaxploitation movies like the ’70s prototypes anymore, but the genre is still kicking — and shooting — in a new series made especially for home video. Starring newcomer Ashley Eastwood as ace government agent Yolanda Hill (code name: ”Sugar”), the Sugar Hill series carries on the tradition of films such as J.D.’s Revenge with plenty of sex and action, but with an important difference. Unlike most blaxploitation flicks of the ’70s, Sugar Hill is produced by an African-American, J. Vincent Parris, who says he’s aiming to add credibility to the body crunches in the new videos (Rockin’ With a Bullet, Dealin’ Dirty, Retribution).
Posted May 17 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Academy head on 'Birth of a Nation': People need to judge the movie
- Sam Mendes, Nick Hornby in talks for live-action 'James and the Giant Peach'
- Vincent D'Onofrio, Dean Norris join Eli Roth's 'Death Wish' remake
- Tim Kaine attacks Donald Trump for calling Hillary Clinton a 'bigot'
- Helen Mirren in talks for Disney's 'Nutcracker and the Four Realms'
- Eva Longoria to direct 'Jane the Virgin' episode
- Rio police charge Ryan Lochte with making false robbery report