They may not make blaxploitation movies like the ’70s prototypes anymore, but the genre is still kicking — and shooting — in a new series made especially for home video. Starring newcomer Ashley Eastwood as ace government agent Yolanda Hill (code name: ”Sugar”), the Sugar Hill series carries on the tradition of films such as J.D.’s Revenge with plenty of sex and action, but with an important difference. Unlike most blaxploitation flicks of the ’70s, Sugar Hill is produced by an African-American, J. Vincent Parris, who says he’s aiming to add credibility to the body crunches in the new videos (Rockin’ With a Bullet, Dealin’ Dirty, Retribution).
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- Waka Flocka Flame to run for president
- Zack Snyder posts full Batsuit photo
- 'Furious 7' breaks box office records in China
- Jon Stewart's final 'Daily Show' to air Aug. 6
- 'Full House' revival at Netflix officially on; 13 episodes to arrive in 2016
- 'Inside Amy Schumer' renewed
- 'RuPaul's Drag Race': Our audience with returning queen
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet style: We grade the looks
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet arrivals: What they wore
- Blake Lively in 'Age of Adaline': Style when you're forever 29
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- Hayden Panettiere, Olivia Munn, Salma Hayek & More!