Though the Greek-born composer Vangelis has produced some formidable work — from the sinister score for Blade Runner (1982) to the huge, neoprimitive symphonic-choral piece The Mask (1985) — his latest effort, The City, is closer in weight to the theme from Chariots of Fire (1982), the hokey hit that made him famous. Divided into eight contiguous sections — ”Dawn,” ”Side Streets,” etc. — The City is apparently intended as a sort of sonic stroll through a typical day in Rome, filled with ear-catching synthesizer effects and ambient city sounds (revving motorcycles, snatches of conversation). But, for all the cutting-edge electronics, Vangelis’ tunes are mainly badly dated Eurojunk: generic Mediterranean-style folk ditties over ultra-square pop rhythms; a concertina lick straight out of an Italian travelogue; even a ’60s-style cool-jazz number for breathy flute, brushed cymbals, and vibes (like, no bongos?). The City is structured a little like Gershwin’s symphonic look at urban life, An American in Paris. But its content has more in common with Gidget Goes to Rome. C
The CityThough the Greek-born composer Vangelis has produced some formidable work — from the sinister score for Blade Runner (1982) to the huge,...The CityInstrumentalThough the Greek-born composer Vangelis has produced some formidable work — from the sinister score for Blade Runner (1982) to the huge,...1991-05-24
Genre: Instrumental; Producer (group): Atlantic
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- 'Survivor: Worlds Apart' merge exclusive sneak peek
- 'Better Call Saul' insider on THAT Jimmy-Chuck shocker
- Casting Net: Emily Blunt, John Krasinski join voice cast of 'Animal Crackers'
- Kevin Hart to receive Comedic Genius Award at MTV Movie Awards
- Weinstein Company acquires Matthew McConaughey-starring 'Gold'
- David Beckham stars in a new underwear ad... with James Corden?
- Colin Trevorrow to direct 'Book of Henry' following 'Jurassic World' release
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Tracee Ellis Ross, Hilary Duff, Scott Eastwood & More!