”The most sensational woman anybody ever saw. Or ever will.” Hemingway said it, and for once he wasn’t wrong. Pictures say more than words can about the Baker magic, and there are plenty of them in Josephine Baker. Plus posters, news clippings from the entertainer’s eventful and outrageous life, programs, and the customary prose play-by-play. When it comes to publicity, nudity, and the épater-ing of the bourgeoisie, Baker had no peer and still has none. Comparisons with Madonna come to mind and they are apt, but the Material Girl has a long way to go to match the Baker mystique. A
Josephine Baker ''The most sensational woman anybody ever saw. Or ever will.'' Hemingway said it, and for once he wasn't wrong. Pictures say more than words can...Josephine BakerBiography, NonfictionBryan Hammond, Patrick O'Connor ''The most sensational woman anybody ever saw. Or ever will.'' Hemingway said it, and for once he wasn't wrong. Pictures say more than words can...1991-05-24Bulfinch
Genre: Biography, Nonfiction; Author: Bryan Hammond, Patrick O'Connor; Publisher: Bulfinch
Posted May 24 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Mission: Impossible — Rogue Nation': What are the critics saying?
- Andre 3000 joins ABC's 'American Crime'
- 'Descendants' react: Did the tale about junior Disney villains cast a spell?
- Casting Net: Gary Oldman joins space love story
- Josh Gad wraps 'Beauty and the Beast' filming, shares pic
- Remembering Roddy Piper's rowdy film career
- Why 'The Tribe' is the perfect videogame movie
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Michael & Kate, Michelle Rodriguez, Joss Stone and More!