”The most sensational woman anybody ever saw. Or ever will.” Hemingway said it, and for once he wasn’t wrong. Pictures say more than words can about the Baker magic, and there are plenty of them in Josephine Baker. Plus posters, news clippings from the entertainer’s eventful and outrageous life, programs, and the customary prose play-by-play. When it comes to publicity, nudity, and the épater-ing of the bourgeoisie, Baker had no peer and still has none. Comparisons with Madonna come to mind and they are apt, but the Material Girl has a long way to go to match the Baker mystique. A
Josephine Baker ''The most sensational woman anybody ever saw. Or ever will.'' Hemingway said it, and for once he wasn't wrong. Pictures say more than words can...Josephine BakerBiography, NonfictionBryan Hammond, Patrick O'Connor ''The most sensational woman anybody ever saw. Or ever will.'' Hemingway said it, and for once he wasn't wrong. Pictures say more than words can...1991-05-24Bulfinch
Genre: Biography, Nonfiction; Author: Bryan Hammond, Patrick O'Connor; Publisher: Bulfinch
Posted May 24 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Judge Judy drama series in the works at CBS
- What if Zack Snyder directed classic literature adaptations?
- Jim Gaffigan, Olivia Thirlby join political thriller 'Chappaquiddick'
- 'Queen of Katwe' story inspired Alicia Keys to write a new song
- Sebastian Stan joins Steven Soderbergh's heist film 'Logan Lucky'
- Three Rounds: Sunday Funday with the cast of 'You're the Worst'
- Teyana Taylor, star of Kanye West's 'Fade' video, cast in VH1's 'The Breaks'
- 11 of the Best 'Mister Rogers' Neighborhood' Guest Stars
- 'Easy': 12 Exclusive First Look Photos
- First Look: Jyn Erso Toys from 'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story'
- Darth Vader, Voldemort, and 7 Other Pop Culture Comparisons to Donald Trump
- Celebrity Professors: See Stars Who Make the Grade
- 55 Books to Read This Fall