”The most sensational woman anybody ever saw. Or ever will.” Hemingway said it, and for once he wasn’t wrong. Pictures say more than words can about the Baker magic, and there are plenty of them in Josephine Baker. Plus posters, news clippings from the entertainer’s eventful and outrageous life, programs, and the customary prose play-by-play. When it comes to publicity, nudity, and the épater-ing of the bourgeoisie, Baker had no peer and still has none. Comparisons with Madonna come to mind and they are apt, but the Material Girl has a long way to go to match the Baker mystique. A
Josephine Baker ''The most sensational woman anybody ever saw. Or ever will.'' Hemingway said it, and for once he wasn't wrong. Pictures say more than words can...Josephine BakerBiography, NonfictionBryan Hammond, Patrick O'Connor ''The most sensational woman anybody ever saw. Or ever will.'' Hemingway said it, and for once he wasn't wrong. Pictures say more than words can...1991-05-24Bulfinch
Genre: Biography, Nonfiction; Author: Bryan Hammond, Patrick O'Connor; Publisher: Bulfinch
Posted May 24 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Vikings' shocker: Creator Michael Hirst talks the death of [spoiler]
- 'Vikings' kills again: A talk with the departing actor
- Casting Net: Viola Davis, Catalina Sandino Moreno star in 'Custody'
- President Obama talks 'The Wire' with creator David Simon
- Warner Bros wins bid for rights to viral 'Sundays' short
- Oscar producers won't return; Academy to search for new showrunners
- NBC reviving Coach with Craig T. Nelson
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- 'Game of Thrones' London premiere: Red carpet style
- Best ‘DWTS’ champ? A (non-scientific) power ranking
- T.I. & Kevin, Jon Hamm, Olivia & Jason and More!