Rebellious-teen-drives-parents-wild has long been a staple scenario of the movies, not to mention the sitcom. It’s an overworked plot but Mermaids manages a twist: The parental role is taken by the teen, and vice versa. In this case, Cher — in a tailor-made part — is out for an irresponsible fine time until an unlikely beau (Bob Hoskins) sets her as straight as such a loopy mom can get. Daughter Charlotte (the absolute charming Winona Ryder) wants to be a nun, despite (or because of) being Jewish. She learns that you can’t keep a good hormone down, however, especially when the neighborhood convent has such a handsome caretaker (Michael Schoeffling). While all the good natured ribbing between these calculatedly nutty characters can grow fey to a fault, it can also be pleasing in a low-key way. That’s why so many were disappointed with the movie on the big screen. But it’s also what makes it quite right for the smaller scale of the TV set. B
Mermaids Rebellious-teen-drives-parents-wild has long been a staple scenario of the movies, not to mention the sitcom. It's an overworked plot but MermaidsDrama, ComedyPT110MPG-13 Rebellious-teen-drives-parents-wild has long been a staple scenario of the movies, not to mention the sitcom. It's an overworked plot but 1991-05-24Bob Hoskins
Genre: Drama, Comedy; Starring: Cher, Christina Ricci, Winona Ryder, Bob Hoskins; Director: Richard Benjamin; Runtime (in minutes): 110; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted May 24 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Urban Cone teams up with Tove Lo for 'Come Back to Me' -- exclusive
- Suge Knight hospitalized: 'can't really see'
- Kelly Clarkson to tour with Pentatonix
- SXSW: Director Craig William Macneill talks about making a maniac in horror-thriller 'The Boy'
- Terrence Howard explains his 'Whaa?' moment at the Oscars
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt in Oliver Stone's 'Snowden': First Look
- What's Playing on Broadway and Beyond