Rebellious-teen-drives-parents-wild has long been a staple scenario of the movies, not to mention the sitcom. It’s an overworked plot but Mermaids manages a twist: The parental role is taken by the teen, and vice versa. In this case, Cher — in a tailor-made part — is out for an irresponsible fine time until an unlikely beau (Bob Hoskins) sets her as straight as such a loopy mom can get. Daughter Charlotte (the absolute charming Winona Ryder) wants to be a nun, despite (or because of) being Jewish. She learns that you can’t keep a good hormone down, however, especially when the neighborhood convent has such a handsome caretaker (Michael Schoeffling). While all the good natured ribbing between these calculatedly nutty characters can grow fey to a fault, it can also be pleasing in a low-key way. That’s why so many were disappointed with the movie on the big screen. But it’s also what makes it quite right for the smaller scale of the TV set. B
Mermaids Rebellious-teen-drives-parents-wild has long been a staple scenario of the movies, not to mention the sitcom. It's an overworked plot but MermaidsDrama, ComedyPT110MPG-13 Rebellious-teen-drives-parents-wild has long been a staple scenario of the movies, not to mention the sitcom. It's an overworked plot but 1991-05-24Bob Hoskins
Genre: Drama, Comedy; Starring: Cher, Christina Ricci, Winona Ryder, Bob Hoskins; Director: Richard Benjamin; Runtime (in minutes): 110; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted May 24 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- WATCH: Danny McBride teases Neal's redemption on 'Vice Principals'
- Will Forte teases 'Last Man on Earth' season 3: 'New... Malibu... Death'
- Comic-Con 2016: 5 things to know from 'Riverdale' pilot
- WATCH: Sigourney Weaver thought she 'f---ed up' iconic 'Aliens' line
- WATCH: 'The Originals' cast discusses the 5-year time jump
- WATCH: 'Once Upon a Time' star: 'We're all facing our own baggage'
- WATCH: 'Lucifer' cast says Mom is 'hell-bent on revenge'