At first glance, Annemarie Colbin’s prescriptions for healthy eating in The Natural Gourmet seem to hark back to the days of countercultural lunacy. The proprietor of Manhattan’s Natural Gourmet Cookery School, Colbin balances her meals and dishes according to a complicated system based on what she calls the Chinese Theory of the Five Phases: wood, fire, earth, metal, and water. Whatever the theory, her ideas on how nutrition works may well seem, to use a phrase from the ’60s, off the wall. The recipes, mostly meatless and dairy-free, include elements from around the globe but lean heavily on Japanese ingredients such as miso (a fermented soy paste) and kuzu (a starch) that have become staples of the macrobiotic diet. Colbin doesn’t just play with macrobiotic trappings; she uses them to create recipes with the clean, clear harmony that constitutes correct eating according to that philosophy. Try a few and you’ll find Colbin to be a mentor of superior taste and talent. B
The Natural GourmetAt first glance, Annemarie Colbin's prescriptions for healthy eating in The Natural Gourmet seem to hark back to the days of...The Natural GourmetCooking/HomeAnnemarie ColbinAt first glance, Annemarie Colbin's prescriptions for healthy eating in The Natural Gourmet seem to hark back to the days of...1991-05-24
Genre: Cooking/Home; Author: Annemarie Colbin; Producer (group): Ballantine
Posted May 24 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Dave Grohl celebrates Chicago’s music scene at Wrigley Field show
- Taylor Swift is really, really excited for the 'Wildest Dreams' music video debut
- Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart almost joined Taylor Swift on tour
- 'We Are Your Friends' had one of the worst openings in history
- Details on the 'AHS: Hotel' Halloween episodes with Lily Rabe and Darren Criss
- 'Hannibal' finale review: A perversely romantic, totally satisfying last supper
- Caitlyn Jenner on the realities of dating as a transgender woman
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Khloeé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!