Like the Beach Boys, the Oaks have a few too many crow’s-feet to be called ”boys” anymore. But that should be the least of their worries. Always one of the tamest vocal groups in country — they came out of tame white gospel, after all — they’ve now sunk to new levels of homogenization. When the songs on their new album, Unstoppable, aren’t total bland-outs, they’re dorky novelty tunes, such as ”Baby on Board” (the romantic kind, not somebody’s infant) and ”Love This Cat,” a failed attempt at rockabilly replete with a kitten’s meow at the end. Like that polyester leisure suit in the back of your closet, the Oaks seem impossibly quaint and old-fashioned these days. Of course, they see themselves differently. In ”When It Comes to You” they sing: ”I’m a little bit wild/A little bit crazy.” In your dreams, boys, in your dreams. C
Unstoppable Like the Beach Boys, the Oaks have a few too many crow's-feet to be called ''boys'' anymore. But that should be the least of their worries. Always...UnstoppableCountry Like the Beach Boys, the Oaks have a few too many crow's-feet to be called ''boys'' anymore. But that should be the least of their worries. Always...1991-05-24
Posted May 24 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'NCIS: LA' sneak peek: Callen is going rogue
- 'Hindsight' canceled by VH1
- Listen to 'The Unauthorized O.C. Musical' cast sing 'California'
- Ellen Page says it's 'borderline offensive' to call actors brave for playing LGBTQ roles
- How 'Hannibal' was 'The Sopranos'
- Everything you need to know about 'The Unauthorized O.C. Musical'
- Michael B. Jordan may bare his fangs in MGM's 'Blood Brothers'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Céline Dion, Aaron Paul, Kate & Hayden and More!