Like the Beach Boys, the Oaks have a few too many crow’s-feet to be called ”boys” anymore. But that should be the least of their worries. Always one of the tamest vocal groups in country — they came out of tame white gospel, after all — they’ve now sunk to new levels of homogenization. When the songs on their new album, Unstoppable, aren’t total bland-outs, they’re dorky novelty tunes, such as ”Baby on Board” (the romantic kind, not somebody’s infant) and ”Love This Cat,” a failed attempt at rockabilly replete with a kitten’s meow at the end. Like that polyester leisure suit in the back of your closet, the Oaks seem impossibly quaint and old-fashioned these days. Of course, they see themselves differently. In ”When It Comes to You” they sing: ”I’m a little bit wild/A little bit crazy.” In your dreams, boys, in your dreams. C
Unstoppable Like the Beach Boys, the Oaks have a few too many crow's-feet to be called ''boys'' anymore. But that should be the least of their worries. Always...UnstoppableCountry Like the Beach Boys, the Oaks have a few too many crow's-feet to be called ''boys'' anymore. But that should be the least of their worries. Always...1991-05-24
Posted May 24 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Disney eyes live-action 'Prince Charming'
- Ezra Koenig of Vampire Weekend lands own Beats 1 Radio show
- 'Sesame Street': Sonia 'Maria' Manzano's 7 favorites
- 'Hannibal': No go at Netflix, Amazon
- Caitlyn Jenner gives empowering talk in new 'I Am Cait' trailer
- Michael Eisner clarifies comment that beautiful, funny women are 'impossible to find'
- Sluggish Fourth of July box office no picnic for Hollywood
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- Kendall Jenner, Liv Tyler, Jessie J & More!