Although the Bee Gees were undeniably influential in popularizing synthesized disco dance music with white audiences over a decade ago, by the late ’80s it must have been clear even to them that they couldn’t possibly compete on their own turf with the likes of Fine Young Cannibals or George Michael. So in their 1987 album, ESP, the Brothers Gibb turned to a seamless, melodious pop style that showcases their smooth vocal harmonies, including Robin’s distinctively quavery falsetto. It’s a style that well suits their innate sexlessness. Their new record, High Civilization, is full of beautifully crafted ballads about love and human harmony; the tracks are all perfectly tuneful and even soulful, in a washed-out kind of way, but completely lacking in funkiness. It’s a melodramatic style that appeals mainly to a pop demographic weirdly missing in this country. Europe abounds with women over 40 who listened to rock when they were younger and listen to funkless pop radio now. To them, High Civilization will make perfect background music for light housework and chores. In the U.S., however, 40ish ladies who were once into Elvis are usually still into Elvis — and for those women, High Civilization might sound a tad tame. B
High CivilizationAlthough the Bee Gees were undeniably influential in popularizing synthesized disco dance music with white audiences over a decade ago, by the late '80s...High CivilizationPopAlthough the Bee Gees were undeniably influential in popularizing synthesized disco dance music with white audiences over a decade ago, by the late '80s...1991-05-31
Genre: Pop; Producer (group): Warner Bros.
Posted May 31 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Wes Craven's 5 most twistedly influential films
- A$AP Rocky brings 'L$D' to the VMAs
- Celebrity reactions to Kanye West's MTV VMAs speech
- Miley Cyrus announces new album during VMAs performance
- 'Bad Blood' wins Video of the Year at the MTV VMAs
- The most GIF-able moments from this year's MTV VMAs
- 'I Am Cait' recap: 'The Dating Game'
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!