To his credit, Ziggy Marley isn’t content to be a dreadlocked shadow of his late father, Bob, despite a chilling vocal resemblance. Marley seems to realize that traditional reggae can be a musical straitjacket, and with each album he has tried to broaden his (and the music’s) base. Jahmekya, his sixth and most opulent record, has its share of no-nonsense reggae, but he and the Melody Makers also incorporate spry Memphis-style organs and slinky Philly Soul licks, along with scratching and other elements of rap. Unfortunately, the songs — simplistic calls-to-arms for underdogs to overcome their oppressors — are their own worst enemy. After 16 tracks, you’re so worn down by the incessant proselytizing and repetitive chants that you don’t have the energy to (in the words of Bob Marley) either get up or stand up-never mind take to the streets to dismantle any and all callous governments. Close, but no spliff — er, cigar. B-
Jahmekya To his credit, Ziggy Marley isn't content to be a dreadlocked shadow of his late father, Bob, despite a chilling vocal resemblance. Marley seems to...JahmekyaReggae/Ska To his credit, Ziggy Marley isn't content to be a dreadlocked shadow of his late father, Bob, despite a chilling vocal resemblance. Marley seems to...1991-05-31
Posted May 31 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Can the 'Legends of Tomorrow' ever truly defeat Vandal Savage?
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Ryan Reynolds on how he was forced into 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine'
- Casting Net: Taraji P. Henson to star in Hidden Figures
- 'Grey's Anatomy' star Ellen Pompeo on Meredith-centric midseason return
- Nasim Pedrad to play teenage boy in Fox pilot 'Chad: An American Boy'
- A house divided in 'House of Cards' season 4 trailer
- 'Gilmore Girls' revival casts former 'Bunheads' star Sutton Foster
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996
- 'Beautiful Girls': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Musicians Who Banned Candidates From Using Their Songs
- See '90s Stars at the 1996 'Broken Arrow' Premiere
- 35 Tom Hiddleston Photos For His 35th Birthday