Currently, the chief pretender to Luther Vandross’ Swoon King throne is Keith Washington, who, like Vandross, got his start as a backup singer, aiding acts ranging from the Jacksons to Funkadelic. But on Make Time for Love (Qwest/ Warner Bros.; ), Washington seems like a cross between Barry White and Billy Dee Williams-a heavy-lidded lothario who fills his debut with drippy strings, sludgy tempos, and macho attitude instead of honest emotion. Although he lacks Vandross’ sense of playfulness, Washington’s buppie worldview is sometimes inadvertently funny. In the midst of the sighing, moaning ”Make Time for Love,” for example, the singer murmurs, ”Lately I’ve been working overtime/So when it comes to money we’ll be all right/I make more than enough, let’s make time for love.” You half expect his partner to reply, ”Sure, Keith, pull out your Filofax and I’ll see if I can fit you in.” Washington has a big hit single right now with ”Kissing You,” but trust me, Luther: You don’t have to lose sleep over this guy. D+
Make Time for Love Currently, the chief pretender to Luther Vandross' Swoon King throne is Keith Washington, who, like Vandross, got his start as a backup singer, aiding...Make Time for LoveR&B, Pop Currently, the chief pretender to Luther Vandross' Swoon King throne is Keith Washington, who, like Vandross, got his start as a backup singer, aiding...1991-05-31
Genre: R&B, Pop; Lead Performer: Keith Washington
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- Tatiana Maslany talks about going cloneless in her new film
- 'Scientifically Accurate My Little Pony' puts a dark spin on beloved cartoon
- January Jones didn't find 'Mad Men' scene 'creepy'
- Verizon FiOS to offer personalized TV packages
- Meklit serves up brassy office blues in 'Kemekem' video -- exclusive
- Metallica's Kirk Hammett lost his phone -- and 250 song ideas
- TV Land's 'Younger' renewed for second season
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet style: We grade the looks
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet arrivals: What they wore
- Blake Lively in 'Age of Adaline': Style when you're forever 29
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- Hayden Panettiere, Olivia Munn, Salma Hayek & More!