Currently, the chief pretender to Luther Vandross’ Swoon King throne is Keith Washington, who, like Vandross, got his start as a backup singer, aiding acts ranging from the Jacksons to Funkadelic. But on Make Time for Love (Qwest/ Warner Bros.; ), Washington seems like a cross between Barry White and Billy Dee Williams-a heavy-lidded lothario who fills his debut with drippy strings, sludgy tempos, and macho attitude instead of honest emotion. Although he lacks Vandross’ sense of playfulness, Washington’s buppie worldview is sometimes inadvertently funny. In the midst of the sighing, moaning ”Make Time for Love,” for example, the singer murmurs, ”Lately I’ve been working overtime/So when it comes to money we’ll be all right/I make more than enough, let’s make time for love.” You half expect his partner to reply, ”Sure, Keith, pull out your Filofax and I’ll see if I can fit you in.” Washington has a big hit single right now with ”Kissing You,” but trust me, Luther: You don’t have to lose sleep over this guy. D+
Make Time for Love Currently, the chief pretender to Luther Vandross' Swoon King throne is Keith Washington, who, like Vandross, got his start as a backup singer, aiding...Make Time for LoveR&B, Pop Currently, the chief pretender to Luther Vandross' Swoon King throne is Keith Washington, who, like Vandross, got his start as a backup singer, aiding...1991-05-31
Genre: R&B, Pop; Lead Performer: Keith Washington
Posted May 31 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Juliette Lewis talks explosive 'Secrets and Lies' finale
- Tom Cruise joins the world of gods and monsters in 'The Mummy' trailer
- 'Once Upon a Time': The hooded figure is revealed!
- Justin Bieber confirms he's single: 'I'm not really looking either'
- 'The Walking Dead' star Steven Yeun marries Joana Pak
- Donald Trump makes cinema great again on hilarious Instagram account
- 'Transformers' teases new trailer in behind-the-scenes clip
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans
- See Exclusive Photos From Star-Studded Performances of 'Oh, Hello'
- 35 Photos of Britney Spears For Her 35th Birthday
- 12 Stars Who Are EGOT Winners
- 10 Celebs Who Appeared on 'Star Search' Before They Made It Big