The 18th-century wit Samuel Johnson compared the novelty of a woman preacher in those days to a dog walking on its hind legs: ”It is not done well,” he said, ”but you are surprised to find it done at all.” DeFrancesco summons forth similar thoughts in Part III. Who expected to see the rise of a white 20-year-old recording his third album on the Hammond B3 organ in an idiom perfected in the ’50s and ’60s by Jimmy Smith and subsequently associated with the ”chitlin circuit,” those small clubs in black neighborhoods where organ-tenor combos often reigned? Not that DeFrancesco lacks talent. He’s got a good ear and skillful technique. Yet this very long album is largely superficial and often dull, especially when DeFrancesco indulges himself by overdubbing his own trumpet solos. Self-indulgence is rampant: ”Dr. Jekyll” is too fast really to work; ”If I Were a Bell” is too virtuosic to suggest any feeling. In liner notes, Leonard Feather insists that we should ignore DeFrancesco’s age. How is that possible? It’s only the novelty that makes him marketable. If he were 35 and black, Columbia would probably have never signed him or released this album. C
Part III The 18th-century wit Samuel Johnson compared the novelty of a woman preacher in those days to a dog walking on its hind legs: ''It is not done well,'...Part IIIR&B, Jazz The 18th-century wit Samuel Johnson compared the novelty of a woman preacher in those days to a dog walking on its hind legs: ''It is not done well,'...1991-05-31
Genre: R&B, Jazz; Lead Performer: Joey Defrancesco
Posted May 31 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Kelly Rowland at Essence Fest previews BET series to find next great girl group
- The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest crowned a new champion on July 4
- Diana Douglas, mother of Michael Douglas and ex-wife of Kirk Douglas, dies at 92
- Hello Kitty movie targeted for 2019
- 'Suicide Squad' on-set photo: Harley Quinn birthday cake for Margot Robbie
- Caitlyn Jenner 'proud to be an American'
- Lil Wayne: 'Free Weezy Album' on Tidal
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!