The 18th-century wit Samuel Johnson compared the novelty of a woman preacher in those days to a dog walking on its hind legs: ”It is not done well,” he said, ”but you are surprised to find it done at all.” DeFrancesco summons forth similar thoughts in Part III. Who expected to see the rise of a white 20-year-old recording his third album on the Hammond B3 organ in an idiom perfected in the ’50s and ’60s by Jimmy Smith and subsequently associated with the ”chitlin circuit,” those small clubs in black neighborhoods where organ-tenor combos often reigned? Not that DeFrancesco lacks talent. He’s got a good ear and skillful technique. Yet this very long album is largely superficial and often dull, especially when DeFrancesco indulges himself by overdubbing his own trumpet solos. Self-indulgence is rampant: ”Dr. Jekyll” is too fast really to work; ”If I Were a Bell” is too virtuosic to suggest any feeling. In liner notes, Leonard Feather insists that we should ignore DeFrancesco’s age. How is that possible? It’s only the novelty that makes him marketable. If he were 35 and black, Columbia would probably have never signed him or released this album. C
Part III The 18th-century wit Samuel Johnson compared the novelty of a woman preacher in those days to a dog walking on its hind legs: ''It is not done well,'...Part IIIR&B, Jazz The 18th-century wit Samuel Johnson compared the novelty of a woman preacher in those days to a dog walking on its hind legs: ''It is not done well,'...1991-05-31
Genre: R&B, Jazz; Lead Performer: Joey Defrancesco
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- Key & Peele imagine a world without racism in new sketch
- Hot Chocolate singer Errol Brown dies at age 71
- See 'It Follows' star Maika Monroe in 'Echoes of War'
- 'Game of Thrones': Which actor is also the best singer?
- Adele dressed up like George Michael on her birthday
- Charlize Theron reveals all about her ultimate female road warrior in 'Mad Max'
- Phil Rudd's AC/DC bandmates haven't contacted him since his criminal charges
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Chrissy & John, Reese Witherspoon, Charles Esten & More!