It’s easy to see why this cross-generational star vehicle ran out of gas so early in its theatrical run. The story in The Rookie is strictly a retread. One more time, Clint Eastwood plays a tough cop who lets his pistol do most of the talking. Charlie Sheen portrays his rookie partner, and they’re on the trail of big-time auto thieves. Sheen wants to show that he can cut it as a cop, while Eastwood wants to prove he can crack a major case after a career of small ones. This is a standard buddy-cop movie, full of go-through-the-motions performances. Director Eastwood puts some punch into the action scenes, but Rookie is about as tired and predictable as old movie ideas get. C+
Starring: Clint Eastwood, Charlie Sheen; Starring: Lara Flynn Boyle, Sonia Braga, Tom Skerritt; Director: Clint Eastwood; Runtime (in minutes): 121; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Warner Bros.
Posted May 31 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'House of Cards' premiere react: Blood on the Tracks
- Skrillex + Diplo release Jack U debut
- 'Empire' star Jussie Smollett on the power of Jamal's coming-out
- 'Focus' aims to lift box office crown from 'Fifty Shades of Grey'
- Bruce Willis indie-thriller 'Wake' halts production due to lack of funding
- 'How to Get Away with Murder' creator on season 1 success, season 2 ideas
- Catwoman comes out as bisexual in comic
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Oscars 2015: EW exclusive rehearsal photos
- Oscars 2015 backstage: EW all-access photo pass
- Taylor, Rita & Orlando, Amanda and More!