Kix has everything you expect from a hard-rock band: Down-and-dirty guitar riffs, a singer capable of high-pitched screams, lyrics about sexy young babes. So how does this quintet manage to rise above the clichés? Perhaps living on the fringes of success has helped keep an edge: After making its debut in 1981 with Kix, the group didn’t mine gold until its fourth album, 1988’s Blow My Fuse. With No. 5, Hot Wire, the guys still sound like a fresh-faced bar band that’s hot to trot. Songs like ”Rock & Roll Overdose” have the typically beery effervescence that sparks what is otherwise a not terribly original approach. It’s to L.A. Guns’ credit, meanwhile, that on their second album, Hollywood Vampires, they opt for creativity instead of rehashing the formula that brought them fame. The R&B-influenced ”Here It Comes” is a welcome left turn away from the straight-shooting rock on the group’s gold-selling 1989 album, Cocked and Loaded. But on too many songs, such as ”Some Lie for Love,” the band hasn’t replaced its original punk energy with anything distinctive. L.A. Guns sound like a band that hasn’t quite found a new direction. B-
Hot Wire Kix has everything you expect from a hard-rock band: Down-and-dirty guitar riffs, a singer capable of high-pitched screams, lyrics about sexy young...Hot WireRock Kix has everything you expect from a hard-rock band: Down-and-dirty guitar riffs, a singer capable of high-pitched screams, lyrics about sexy young...1991-07-12
Genre: Rock; Producer (group): Atlantic
Posted January 17 2015 — 11:46 AM EST
- Quicksilver vs. Quicksilver: How 'Avengers' and 'X-Men' introduced the same character differently
- Chris Brown named a suspect in Las Vegas battery case
- 'Scrubs' stars Zach Braff, Donald Faison to appear on 'Undateable'
- Will Poulter cast as Pennywise in Cary Fukunaga's 'It'
- Jimmy Fallon and Blur sing 'Tender' and it's, well, tender
- Joss Whedon just quit Twitter again
- Barbara Crampton-starring horror movie 'We Are Still Here' to haunt cinemas June 5
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Britney Spears, Orlando Bloom, Solange & More!