Mick Jones — scintillating guitarist, punk icon, and conscientious balance to Joe Strummer’s excesses when they were together in the Clash — has always seemed a bit frail, what with his wavery whisper, sunken constitution, and sensitive songwriting. His post-Clash work with Don Letts in Big Audio Dynamite — notably 1986’s splendid No. 10, Upping St., created with help from his ex-partner — was unexpectedly muscular, a whirlwind blend of world beat and rock. But now Letts is out of the picture in The Globe, and the reconstituted B.A.D. seems to be a holding action. The odd beats, the weird samples, the snippets of speech present on other B.A.D. albums are still around, but a guiding musical sensibility is missing. ”In My Dreams” has a nostalgic rock & roll lilt, and Jones delicately pulls off the balladic chorus of ”Green Grass.” But the record as a whole is light, almost too light — there’s no real bass-and-drums bottom to even the stronger cuts, and without a foundation Jones’ voice sails away, almost weightless. C+
The GlobeMick Jones — scintillating guitarist, punk icon, and conscientious balance to Joe Strummer's excesses when they were together in the Clash —...The GlobeRockMick Jones — scintillating guitarist, punk icon, and conscientious balance to Joe Strummer's excesses when they were together in the Clash —...1991-07-19
Posted July 19 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Character actress Rebecca Metz on making it in Hollywood
- 'Bad Santa 2' screening, cast added to EW PopFest lineup
- James McAvoy has 23 personalities in new trailer for 'Split'
- James Franco endorses Hillary Clinton with Dos Equis spoof
- 'Blindspot' sneak peek: Why has Rich Dotcom returned?
- Hillary Clinton 'thrilled' by Jay Z's upcoming concert in her honor
- 'This Is Us' ratings strong against World Series competition
- Hillary Clinton Through The Years
- 'Hamilton' Stars Go Old-School for Vintage Portraits
- 'The Walking Dead': Exclusive Season Premiere Storyboards
- 'Gilmore Girls' Trailer: A Deep Dive Into the Return to Stars Hollow
- 15 Ultimate Halloween Movie Picks, From Horror-Loving Actors and Filmmakers
- This Is What the 2001 CMAs Looked Like