Virtuoso, gadfly, arguably the freest and most penetrating musical mind of his time, Glenn Gould couldn’t get within 10 feet of a piece of music without stirring up controversy. One abiding tragedy stalked him: Some of his favorite composers (Wagner among them) never composed anything of consequence for piano. Unfazed, Gould made his own knockout piano versions of some of Wagner’s most orchestrally conceived scores, including the exquisite, tender ”Siegfried Idyll” (offered here with more pianistic Wagneriana), wherein one solo wind instrument after another pours out the composer’s adoration for his new bride. ”I simply wanted to have something of Wagner’s I could play,” Gould explained. Like his Bach and Beethoven, Glenn Gould Conducts Wagner’s Siegfried Idyll became a personal exploration into the music’s deepest secrets. Four months before his death (in 1982, at 50), Gould came a step closer to the Wagnerian essence, conducting a Canadian ensemble in the ”Siegfried Idyll” as originally written. Slow-paced, probing, intensely poetic, it was his own love song to Wagner’s. It was his debut as a conductor, and his finale as well. A
Glenn Gould Conducts Wagner's Siegfried IdyllVirtuoso, gadfly, arguably the freest and most penetrating musical mind of his time, Glenn Gould couldn't get within 10 feet of a piece of music without...Glenn Gould Conducts Wagner's Siegfried IdyllClassicalVirtuoso, gadfly, arguably the freest and most penetrating musical mind of his time, Glenn Gould couldn't get within 10 feet of a piece of music without...1991-07-26
Genre: Classical; Lead Performer: Glenn Gould; Producer (group): Sony Classical
Posted July 26 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Does Lincoln have a death wish?
- 'The Craft' remake is actually a sequel, producer says
- Blake Shelton, Gwen Stefani will perform new duet on 'The Voice'
- Kendrick Lamar performs with Prince at Paisley Park in unearthed video
- Channing Tatum reveals dream costars in interview with nonverbal fan
- Arnold Schwarzenegger to star in Taran Killam-directed action comedy
- P!nk compares herself to Mad Hatter in 'Alice Through the Looking Glass'
- Met Gala 2016: The Best and Most Outrageous Looks
- Flashback to the 1996 Premiere of 'The Craft'
- 14 TV Cliffhangers and How They Were Resolved
- Met Gala 2016: See All the Arrivals From Manus x Machina
- 'Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt': Before They Were Stars
- 'Wayward Pines' Season 2: Exclusive Photos of the New Main Cast