Mark Collie’s sophomore effort, Born and Raised in Black and White, isn’t quite as all-out disarming as his debut, last year’s Hardin County Line, but it still has plenty to recommend it. As before, Collie’s long suit is his seductive wedding of rockabilly and ’50s-style honky-tonk shuffle, evidenced here by ”She’s Never Comin’ Back,” a song of marital dissolution as winning for its wit as for its rollicking drive. With his thick West Tennessee drawl and chicken-pickin’ guitar backup from the great James Burton, Collie also shines on such songs as the title tune, a dramatic tale of two brothers who chose different paths in life, and the whimsical ”Lucky Dog.” Collie may stumble on the Roy Orbison-like ”There Goes My Dream” and elsewhere settle for a little average filler, but he still has the kind of restless energy that can shake up a storm. B+
Born and Raised in Black and White Mark Collie's sophomore effort, Born and Raised in Black and White, isn't quite as all-out disarming as his debut, last year's Born and Raised in Black and WhiteCountry Mark Collie's sophomore effort, Born and Raised in Black and White, isn't quite as all-out disarming as his debut, last year's 1991-08-02
Genre: Country; Lead Performer: Mark Collie
Posted August 2 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Hugh Dancy explains that shocking 'Hannibal' series finale
- 'Hannibal' music supervisor on working with Siouxsie Sioux for the finale's song
- Ansel Elgort remembers former classmate after his death
- New 'Downton Abbey' trailer previews final season
- 'Les Miserables' actor dies at 21
- Jackson family remembers Michael Jackson on his birthday
- Amal Clooney says Egyptian Al-Jazeera conviction 'sends a dangerous message'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Demi Lovato, Nicki Minaj, Bill Murray, Bruce Willis and More!