John Goodman’s first starring vehicle — an extended piece of sitcom nonsense about a slob Las Vegas lounge singer who becomes king of England — is one of those movies that’s so inoffensive that eventually it begins to annoy you. You suspect it’s a ploy to distract you from realizing that it’s also not very funny. Goodman himself is quite amusing (part Oliver Hardy, part Jackie Gleason). And the entire cast is vastly better than the script demands; King Ralph really should have been a TV movie starring Tony Danza or Ed O’Neill. There are a few mild grins and fewer genuine laughs to be had here. But in any case, the whole thing is so formulaic and predictable you’ll probably doze off before you notice that its plot is a rehash of The Prisoner of Zenda. C-
King RalphJohn Goodman's first starring vehicle — an extended piece of sitcom nonsense about a slob Las Vegas lounge singer who becomes king of England —...King RalphComedyPGJohn Goodman's first starring vehicle — an extended piece of sitcom nonsense about a slob Las Vegas lounge singer who becomes king of England —...1991-08-02MCA/Universal Home Video
Genre: Comedy; Starring: John Goodman, Peter O'Toole; Director: David S. Ward; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: MCA/Universal Home Video
Posted August 2 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Hugh Dancy explains that shocking 'Hannibal' series finale
- 'Hannibal' music supervisor on working with Siouxsie Sioux for the finale's song
- Ansel Elgort remembers former classmate after his death
- New 'Downton Abbey' trailer previews final season
- 'Les Miserables' actor dies at 21
- Jackson family remembers Michael Jackson on his birthday
- Amal Clooney says Egyptian Al-Jazeera conviction 'sends a dangerous message'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Demi Lovato, Nicki Minaj, Bill Murray, Bruce Willis and More!