Squeeze’s new release, Play, seems to come out of chaos. This is the band’s third album on as many labels in as many years — and even as it debuts, leaders Chris Difford and Glenn Tilbrook are out touring on their own, sans group. What Squeeze could use is a decisive revival of Difford and Tilbrook’s one-time finely wrought songwriting, but Play isn’t it. There are some fine pop chops on the record; the opener, ”Satisfied,” is a witty yet ominous ode to sex, and ”The Truth” nicely dissects dishonesty. But far too much of the material is bloodless. Difford and Tilbrook’s forte — mannered, slightly labored constructions with precise lyrics and pristine instrumentation-requires, if you’ll pardon the vernacular, hooks up the wazoo to make it work. Lots of Play’s tunes, like the sluggish ”There Is a Voice” and the tepidly bouncy ”Sunday Street,” lack any luster at all. C+
Play Squeeze's new release, Play, seems to come out of chaos. This is the band's third album on as many labels in as many years —...PlayRock Squeeze's new release, Play, seems to come out of chaos. This is the band's third album on as many labels in as many years —...1991-08-02
Genre: Rock; Producer (group): Warner Bros.
Posted August 2 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Can't Buy Me Love' star Amanda Peterson's cause of death was an overdose
- Sony reaches settlement in hacking lawsuits
- Stephen Colbert counters Jeb Bush's 'Late Show' raffle with his own contest
- On the set of 'American Horror Story: Hotel': A foursome with Lady Gaga and Matt Bomer
- Steven Spielberg’s DreamWorks could leave Disney next year
- 'Jack Reacher 2' starring Tom Cruise gets a release date
- Stan Lee says 'Fantastic Four' flopped because he didn’t have a cameo
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- The A List Ladies, Jake Gyllenhaal, Anna & Jane and More!