Rapper Slick Rick recently began serving up to 10 years in prison for attempted murder. Judging from The Ruler’s Back, no trial or tribulation can cramp his lighthearted style. (And don’t let charges of sexism over his 1988 hit ”Treat Her Like a Prostitute” distract you; that song isn’t like the rest of his work.) With his raspy faux-British delivery, Rick sometimes sounds like a cool schoolteacher entertaining the kiddies before naptime. Here he delivers engaging tales about impulsive romantic mistakes (”I Shouldn’t Have Done It”), biblical figures (”Moses”), and his own responsibilities as a father (”It’s a Boy”). The only detraction: a heavy-handed beat that often competes with his vocals rather than complementing them. B
The Ruler's BackRapper Slick Rick recently began serving up to 10 years in prison for attempted murder. Judging from The Ruler's Back, no trial or...The Ruler's BackHip-Hop/RapRapper Slick Rick recently began serving up to 10 years in prison for attempted murder. Judging from The Ruler's Back, no trial or...1991-08-02
Genre: Hip-Hop/Rap; Lead Performer: Slick Rick; Producer (group): Def Jam
Posted August 2 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Kate Hudson gets patriotic, belts out the national anthem on Instagram
- 'Dukes of Hazzard' costar: TV Land wrong
- Keke Palmer: 'Scream Queens' will be just 'as brutal' as 'American Horror Story'
- Empire State Building jams out to Grateful Dead with synchronized July 4 light show
- Dave Grohl's game of throne in D.C.
- Kit Harington: Buzz about his long hair
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Rumer & Khloé, Usher, Cara Delevingne & More!