Rapper Slick Rick recently began serving up to 10 years in prison for attempted murder. Judging from The Ruler’s Back, no trial or tribulation can cramp his lighthearted style. (And don’t let charges of sexism over his 1988 hit ”Treat Her Like a Prostitute” distract you; that song isn’t like the rest of his work.) With his raspy faux-British delivery, Rick sometimes sounds like a cool schoolteacher entertaining the kiddies before naptime. Here he delivers engaging tales about impulsive romantic mistakes (”I Shouldn’t Have Done It”), biblical figures (”Moses”), and his own responsibilities as a father (”It’s a Boy”). The only detraction: a heavy-handed beat that often competes with his vocals rather than complementing them. B
The Ruler's BackRapper Slick Rick recently began serving up to 10 years in prison for attempted murder. Judging from The Ruler's Back, no trial or...The Ruler's BackHip-Hop/RapRapper Slick Rick recently began serving up to 10 years in prison for attempted murder. Judging from The Ruler's Back, no trial or...1991-08-02
Genre: Hip-Hop/Rap; Lead Performer: Slick Rick; Producer (group): Def Jam
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- Daytime Emmys 2015 winners are...
- 'Game of Thrones': Kit Harington on Jon's brutal decision
- 'Game of Thrones' team explains their choices on Sansa's story
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron': $200+M so far
- Jay Z on Tidal: 'not perfect,' 'determined'
- 'Grey's Anatomy' fans launch petition to bring McDreamy back
- Patrick Dempsey's EW Q&A on 'Grey's' exit: 'Shonda cares deeply about fans and how they will react'