Shindig!, which ran on ABC from 1964-66, was the first (and still the best) prime-time TV show devoted exclusively to pop and rock music. Essentially, everybody who made interesting records during those years — from Howlin’ Wolf to the Beatles — appeared on the show at some time, and almost invariably live. Rhino has prepared an incredible 12 volumes of performances from the show. On the basis of Frat Party and Jackie Wilson, which are among the first releases, the project is a smashing success. The Frat Party tape, of course, is just a lot of gleefully goofy fun, with time capsule — worthy glimpses of the teenage Rick Derringer and the Kingsmen rendering the immortal ”Louie, Louie.” B+
Shindig! Presents Frat Party Shindig!, which ran on ABC from 1964-66, was the first (and still the best) prime-time TV show devoted exclusively to pop and rock music....Shindig! Presents Frat PartyDocumentary, MusicalUnrated Shindig!, which ran on ABC from 1964-66, was the first (and still the best) prime-time TV show devoted exclusively to pop and rock music....1991-08-02Rhino Video
Genre: Documentary, Musical; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Rhino Video
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- 'The Legend of Zelda' for Wii U delayed
- Kit Harington fights terrorism in 'Spooks: The Greater Good' trailer
- Billie Joe Armstrong musical 'These Paper Bullets!' coming to LA, NYC
- 'It Follows': The story behind the score
- Nick Jonas talks hosting the 2015 Kids' Choice Awards, his new image and that Kanye West cover
- Ben Stiller's little-known punk rocker past comes to light
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- Katy Perry, Kenny & Taylor, Josh Peck and More!