Shindig!, which ran on ABC from 1964-66, was the first (and still the best) prime-time TV show devoted exclusively to pop and rock music. Essentially, everybody who made interesting records during those years — from Howlin’ Wolf to the Beatles — appeared on the show at some time, and almost invariably live. Rhino has prepared an incredible 12 volumes of performances from the show. On the basis of Frat Party and Jackie Wilson, which are among the first releases, the project is a smashing success. The Frat Party tape, of course, is just a lot of gleefully goofy fun, with time capsule — worthy glimpses of the teenage Rick Derringer and the Kingsmen rendering the immortal ”Louie, Louie.” B+
Genre: Documentary, Musical; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Rhino Video
Posted August 2 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Sports Illustrated' reveals how the NFL persuaded Michael Jackson to perform at the Super Bowl
- Rachael Taylor joins 'A.K.A. Jessica Jones'
- Study: Binge-watching TV might make you sad
- A.J. McLean previews 'raw' Backstreet Boys documentary
- NEEDTOBREATHE teams with Gavin DeGraw for 'Brother'
- Disney Junior to intro Elena of Avalor, its first Latina princess
- Box office preview: 'Project Almanac' joins 'American Sniper' in theaters