Shindig!, which ran on ABC from 1964-66, was the first (and still the best) prime-time TV show devoted exclusively to pop and rock music. Essentially, everybody who made interesting records during those years — from Howlin’ Wolf to the Beatles — appeared on the show at some time, and almost invariably live. Rhino has prepared an incredible 12 volumes of performances from the show. On the basis of Frat Party and Jackie Wilson, which are among the first releases, the project is a smashing success. The Frat Party tape, of course, is just a lot of gleefully goofy fun, with time capsule — worthy glimpses of the teenage Rick Derringer and the Kingsmen rendering the immortal ”Louie, Louie.” B+
Shindig! Presents Frat Party Shindig!, which ran on ABC from 1964-66, was the first (and still the best) prime-time TV show devoted exclusively to pop and rock music....Shindig! Presents Frat PartyDocumentary, MusicalUnrated Shindig!, which ran on ABC from 1964-66, was the first (and still the best) prime-time TV show devoted exclusively to pop and rock music....1991-08-02Rhino Video
Genre: Documentary, Musical; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Rhino Video
Posted August 2 1991 — 12:00 AM EDT
- What's the best Halloween movie? 'Hatchet' director Adam Green says...
- Jennifer Lawrence departs 'The Rosie Project'
- Two 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' mystery characters get backstories
- HBO orders Lena Dunham's 1960s feminism comedy pilot
- Hear Pharrell's remix of A Tribe Called Quest's 'Bonita Applebum'
- Marlon James' 'A Brief History of Seven Killings' wins the 2015 Man Booker Prize
- 'Fresh Off the Boat' exclusive clip: Jeremy Lin + 'Pretty in Pink' = ?
- 12 Instagram Photos of Pitbull Hanging Out with Celebrities
- 25 Unforgettable Dresses From the Past 25 Years
- Box Office Flops: 19 Notorious Opening Weekends
- EW's 25 Best Movies in 25 Years
- EW Reunions: Bonus portraits of your favorite TV and movie casts
- 'The Walking Dead': 15 Exclusive Storyboard Illustrations From Season 6